Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to get baby back on breast after pumping for 6 wks

Question Trying to get baby back on breast after pumping for 6 wks

Hi,
    I've been trying to breastfeed my baby after pumping for 6 weeks. She latches on and I hear some swallowing and I see milk drool from her mouth, but she'd suck for about 30 seconds and then cry. I try to get her latched on again. Again, she sucks a few times and then cries. This happens until she screams and totally rejects my breast (by hitting and scratching my nipple).

Has anyone been successful in going back to breast after pumping?

I'm wondering if its too late?

I just want to be able to breastfeed in case of emergency- when i dont have a bottle on me.

Default Re: Trying to get baby back on breast after pumping for 6 wks

We were able to successfully make the switch back at around 10 weeks. Bottles are so much easier for LOs to get milk than nursing is, they get lazy and develop a preference for the bottle. I just offered the breast first each feeding until she either took it or I couldn't take it anymore and gave a bottle if necessary. Is there a reason you switched to pumping? Is there a problem there we can try to help you with if you're interested in switching back mostly or entirely? Definitely not too late though. Just keep at it. Your LO will figure it out eventually.

We were able to do it after 31/2 months pumping!!! It's possible We had latching issues at first and after that he preferred the bottle. I had to first switch to a bottle with a very slow flow. We were using Dr. Brown and switched to BreastFlow. Once he got used to a much slower flow (it took him 30 min to empty the bottle instead of 5 min with the Dr. Brown) he didn't fuss while nursing as much. It does take a lot of persistence but you can do it. Compressions also helped to keep him happy while nursing. The links below were very helpful during the process:

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html#Video%20Clips

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...t.html#bottles

HTH. Let us know how things are progressing.

Keep up the good work... She'll get the hang of it
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

We started bfing again after pumping for 3 months. We were having latching problems which was why we started pumping in the first place, and it wasn't until we dealt with the issues that caused the problems that we were able to get her nursing at all. After that, we had to make the breast more pleasant then the bottle, b/c she favored the bottle so much.

If your LO is nursing for a few minutes then getting mad, it may be that they are expecting the flow to continually be fast like a bottle, instead of initially fast and then slower. One of the many things we tried was switch to the Adiri natural nurser.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Thanks for the advice. We originally had to go with the bottle because she was in the NICU the first week of her life and had breathing and swallowing issues. In order to get discharged we had to show that she could survive without the feeding tube, so bottle was the way to go without staying at the hospital for another week.

Sounds like you are on the right track. It is good that she will suck for a few minutes and get milk. My daughter wouldn't even do that. If you wanted to switch to just nursing you might want to try a SNS instead of bottles. It is more work in the short term, but it might be helpful in the long run.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

It's definitely not too late!

Here are some helpful resources:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Why not call your nearest LLL leader for support?