Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: carrots?

Default carrots?

I was just wondering why carrots are not among LLL's recommended first foods. I started my six-month-old ds first on squash, then carrots a couple of weeks ago (using Earth's Best organic baby food, which doesn't have any additives). He seemed a bit taken aback by the squash (maybe the flavor is too strong?) but seems to like the carrots, especially with a bit of ebm added. I was thinking of steaming and mashing some carrots for him so it isn't just from a jar. Is there any reason why sweet potato is better than carrots as a first food? Or bananas/avocados for that matter? I'm interested in any ideas or experiences you might have.

One reason he might like carrots is that I drink carrot juice a couple of times a week and eat a lot of carrots.

Also: I know you're supposed to introduce one food at a time. Can I give banana for breakfast and keep giving carrots (or avocado or sweet potato) for dinner? Or should I stop everything else everytime I introduce a new food?

Annie

Default Re: carrots?

The introduce one food at a time guideline is just intended to help to detect any adverse reactions to a new food. You don't need to stop the other foods you've already introduced, just only introduce one NEW food at a time, waiting awhile in between to see if there is any reaction. For example, this week you could give carrots, next week carrots and bananas, the week after carrots, bananas and chicken (or whatever). You of course can go faster or slower based on your baby (and those foods of course are just hypothetical examples). There are no hard and fast rules about which foods to offer in which order. I believe that bananas, sweet potato, and avocado are recommended as good first foods because they are nutrient dense, babies tend to like them, they're low in allergenicity and they are easily mashed. I'm not sure about carrots, but maybe they are not listed due to lower caloric density? But, as long as baby is eating new foods mainly just for experimentation and learning and not replacing breastmilk, I wouldn't see why it would be bad to start with some carrots if that works for you.

I wonder if the reason is that carrots are a food that has higher nitrate-levels.

Here is some info: (article sort of poo-poos the nitrate thing, but gives a very good explanation about halfway through about the issue)

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm

We gave jarred carrots pretty late in the rotation, just to be on the safe side.

I don't think the four-day-wait rule intends for people to give only one food at every meal for several days. We offered foods that were previously OK alongside new foods. In fact, I felt like it made intuitive sense not to suddenly bombard DS with a huge amount of something new in case he did actually have a reaction.
    Last edited by hilde; June 30th, 2006 at 10:18 PM.

Oh, thanks, the nitrate article helps clarify things. Maybe I'll hold off a few weeks on the carrots, although he does seem to like them. But if root vegetables are a source of nitrates, why wouldn't the same hold for sweet potatoes? Does anyone know?

By the way, I love that website, Hilde! Very, very helpful.

Yes, I believe it would be because of the nitrate levels in the carrots. There are several veggies listed as high in nitrates, and not all are root veggies. I don't remember them all, but I know spinich was on the list. Jarred carrots are safe, since they test them for safe levels of nitrates, but we can't really do that in our own kitchens. I think, though, the risk or nitrates goes way down after 6-7 mo. Everything I read on nitrates was mostly cautioning against giving these veggies to babies under 6 mo of age.