Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My little story about interviewing

Default Re: My little story about interviewing

Good luck Ursula! Keep us updated!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Sounds like you'll do fine.

How "upfront" I was about it depended on the person. I was very open about my needs with the administrators, who are luckily usually women, and they generally control the schedule. I did get a few comments from men about the "breaks", but I think they were more curious rather than upset about it. I didn't really say anything explicitly, especially to the men, but occasionally I did have to ask for a private room where I could close the door for my "break". I think probably more people than said anything actually did know what was going on, but it wasn't really their business. I know there are laws about what they can and can't ask you often about your family status, so that was probably preventing people from bringing it up. On the other hand, I was pretty open about it from my end (I talked about my baby at the dinners, etc.), so it may have been obvious to some that way. Whether you do that or not is up to you. I tend to feel that if they're not welcoming of the fact that I have an infant in the first place, I probably don't want to work there anyway.

My one word of warning is that I am still having some engorgement issues this time around (I'm again in the airport on my way back from #3). I think I'm just not as efficient with the pump, and it adds up over the course of a few days (I don't know how exclusive pumpers do it). So just pump as often as you can, and get back to nursing your daughter as quickly as you can. The good news is my engorgement/plugged duct cleared right up as soon as I got my baby back to the breast last time, and it's not as bad this time, so I think I'll be fine. Anyway, you'll probably do fine. I have a few other friends who've done the same thing with academic interviews, and didn't have the same problems I'm having. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!!!!
    Last edited by melsod; February 1st, 2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: clarification

Oh - and one more thing. I did get caught at security with my milk this time around. I managed to cry my way through, but definitely check your milk on the way back unless you really have no other option. The rules really are that you're not allowed to do it unless the baby is with you.

I find this very annoying - if the baby was WITH me, I wouldn't need to be transporting milk!!!!

The woman at security was like "well you can always make more" Sure, I can just pump out 50 oz at a go.

melsod & urusla: any updates???

not yet. Still waiting to hear...

sending you

Ok, here I am with my story about my two-day interview. Overall, things went really well. I pumped in the airport bathroom (gross), then in the bathroom in the airplane until somebody started banging on the door (even though I had told the flight attendant), in the hotel, and then on my breaks that I had negotiated before my visit.
    Getting up in the middle of the night to pump was not a lot of fun, especially having to turn the lights on and sit up. But I am glad I did since I did not have any supply issues when I returned.
    The most scary part was when I felt what seemed to be plugged duct on the first day. It stayed for about two pumping sessions, but I kept massaging it and it disappeared.
    On my way home I was on a large bus to airport. I had not pumped in a while and felt really full, the trip was about an hour, and there were very few people in the bus. So I just sat in the last row, set up the pump, put a big shawl over my chest and pumped. No one noticed, and I felt so much better after!
    From what I hear baby did really well at home. Getting her to have even one bottle a day was a fight before I left, but she did fine when I was gone.
    Good luck to all traveling moms, it can be done. And what made it really all worth it is that I did get an offer on the job!

That's great!!! Will you accept? I'm still waiting to hear. One of the places I went gave an offer to someone else, but I'm still waiting to hear from the others, and I have at least one more interview planned (I'm bringing him along on this one).