Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sick? teething? he won't nurse ...

Default sick? teething? he won't nurse ...

Alasdair has always been a super fan of the breast. He'll nurse when he's hungry, bored, full, tired, excited ... anytime, anywhere. Until today.
    A little history of our past week (I'm telling this in case it has everything to do with his sudden dis-taste for my breast):
    We went to Vegas for six days. Just got back yesterday. I am sick. Maybe he's sick, too? I think it has to do with all the smoke in the hotels, etc.
    Anyway, he nursed great yesterday. He was in a great mood on the trip. Then today, he got upset. When I went to put him down for his morning/early afternoon nap he bit me. I jerked, he wouldn't nurse.
    ... he cried and threw himself around until finally he fell asleep. When he woke up, I was there and he nursed, happily.
    Then tonight, I went to lay with him for his late afternoon nap and he would not eat. I pumped some into his sippy cup and he loved that. He cried and cried for about 40 minutes (which is A LOT of crying for him. He's a very happy baby.), then finally fell asleep.
    I know he's teething (he has his bottom two teeth), and I think he may be sick.
    How would I detect an ear infection?
    What can I do next time he refuses the breast? I hate that ...
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Default Re: sick? teething? he won't nurse ...

... also, he's already pooped four times today. FOUR. today.
    Generally, he poops once a day.
    cold/flu symptom?
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by juliana99 View Post
    ... also, he's already pooped four times today. FOUR. today.
    Generally, he poops once a day.
    cold/flu symptom?
    Maybe a teething symptom? DS is teething at the moment and he bit me too for a couple of days. He too only has the two bottom teeth. He has had a runny nose and been drooly, and that has brought on a lot of extra pooing!! Do you think it could be the same for Alisdair?
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Has he been pulling or grabbing at his ears? My daughter is 5 1/2 months, she caught a cold from me a few days later she seemed really fussy and looked sad (she's always happy), I noticed her grabbing at her ears. Better safe then sorry I decided to take her to the doc (I'd rather have a clean bill of health than make her suffer) and he said she had an ear infection. I'd honestly go with your gut. I've heard that teething my cause more messy diapers and a fever. My pedi says, "Momma always knows best" so if you're really concerned I'd call your Pedi and give lots of TLC. I hope he's ok
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Quote Originally Posted by udivegirl View Post
    Has he been pulling or grabbing at his ears?
    I thought tugging at his ears was a teething sign. oh no. poor little guy... I hope it's not an ear infection. he is much happier today.

I thought tugging at his ears was a teething sign. oh no. poor little guy... I hope it's not an ear infection. he is much happier today.
    with Udivegirl. Meant to mention ear infection too, although DS does tug at his ears when he's teething too. Glad the little guy's a bit better today anyway!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

it can be. my LO has tugged his ear from the time he could reach them.. for him I think it was a mix of allergies and teething. He's never had an EI.

GLad hes happier today
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Smile Re: sick? teething? he won't nurse ...

My LO is only a couple of days younger than yours, and we have the same exact thing going on !! She already had an ear infection, and I would hope that she wouldn't have another one so soon, but she has the cold symptoms all over again, but then again she has teething symptoms too. On top of that she has had lots of poops for the last few days too. Only difference is that mine won't sleep, wants to eat every 2 hours all night. Ugh. Keep me posted if you figure it out.