Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help!

Question help!

my daughter is a month and a half old.
    three days ago, she vomited in the morning. we thought it was because i'm breastfeeding exclusively and my husband gave her formula because i'm sick....and he didn't want to wake me up.
    however, this morning, after eating, she vomited again, but hasn't done so since.
    both she and i have colds, and she doesn't have a fever, only a stuffy nose.
    help?

Default Re: help!

Hi,
    Welcome to the site and congrats on your new baby. Babies usually have stuffy noses for a while after birth so if she has no other symptoms I would imagine she doesn't have a cold, just the normal newborn stuffiness. I was concerned about the same thing and my Ped said "If he can't breathe, he can't eat so if he's eating he's breathing." About the vomiting, what comes up usually looks like a lot more than it is. Once it goes down it mixes w/mucous & saliva and comes back up looking like a lot more. So it could be just normal spit-up. In my experience, DS spits-up a lot more volume if he starts off nursing fast/hungerily, maybe because he takes in so much so fast that some just automatically comes back up because his little tummy can't take it. Did she seem fussy or in pain or was it with a burp when she let it out? Did it come forcefully? I'm sure some other Mom's will have some input too.

Quote Originally Posted by He'sAlive
    Hi,
    Welcome to the site and congrats on your new baby. Babies usually have stuffy noses for a while after birth so if she has no other symptoms I would imagine she doesn't have a cold, just the normal newborn stuffiness. I was concerned about the same thing and my Ped said "If he can't breathe, he can't eat so if he's eating he's breathing." About the vomiting, what comes up usually looks like a lot more than it is. Once it goes down it mixes w/mucous & saliva and comes back up looking like a lot more. So it could be just normal spit-up. In my experience, DS spits-up a lot more volume if he starts off nursing fast/hungerily, maybe because he takes in so much so fast that some just automatically comes back up because his little tummy can't take it. Did she seem fussy or in pain or was it with a burp when she let it out? Did it come forcefully? I'm sure some other Mom's will have some input too.

my doctor actually told me she has a cold....so i know she has a cold. coughing, and sneezing, the whole bit. she's been kinda fussy with the cold...when she vomited, she didn't seem like she was in pain at all, and it came before i even had the chance to burp her. i put her down on the bed for a second while i adjusted my nursing bra, then i picked her back up, and off she went! it was clear, with little white bits....i don't know if that makes a difference. this would be the second time she's done that this week. i don't know if she's over eating, or what. also, sometimes i have a hard time getting her to burp. maybe that's got something to do with it?

With a cold, she's probably producing and then swallowing a lot of mucus. That can be hard to digest and may cause some vomiting. As long as she's not getting dehydrated, it's nothing to be alarmed about. Just keep nursing on cue, and follow her doctor's guidelines for treating the congestion.

--Rebecca

I had the same issue when my daughter was about 3 weeks- she also had a cold, and was vomiting a few times a day-turns out the doc said that it was due to the increase in mucus she had been swallowing. As soon as the cold started clearing up, it went away.