Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply

Default Low Supply

I am currently only pumping 2 ounces total every 3-4 hours and my LO eats 4 ounces every 2 hours so you can see where my problem is. Well I am use to pumping 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours. Anywas I was taking Fenugreek but it was making my LO crabby so I have since stopped taking it. I am wanting to try Mother's Milk Tea but where do I get it? Do I need to order it online?

Also I am using the PISA and I only pump one side at a time, should I pump both sides at the same time? Would that give me more milk? I pump exclusively and I just really need some tips and tricks to increase my supply. I am currently having to supplement 2-3 bottles a day with formula and I do NOT want to give him formula at all anymore.

Any other ways to increase my supply would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

Default Re: Low Supply

Both sides at once.
    Your let down, or Milk Ejection Reflex will happen in both breasts at the same time. This will increase the amount of milk available in the front of the breast to remove. Try that and see what happens.
    Get AF back recently? Been sick? Stressed out? All these effect your ability to produce milk temporarily.

Thank you!

I am on my cycle right now so that might be why my supply is low all of a sudden. But I am only spotting and have been for about 1 week now which is frustrating and which is about how long my supply has been low.
    Amanda

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.

That sounds about right to me. Having your Af back means that the progesterone levels in your body are elevated. Your milk supply will pop back up in no time. Try more frequent milk removal if you can, and double up! Do you do any breast compressions?

I will definitely try double pumping. I have never done breast compressions before, maybe I should try that?

I am considering pumping for 10 mins, taking a 10 min break, and then pumping again which is something I read in another thread.
    Amanda

Yes, thats called power pumping, it tricks the breast into thinking there is another breastfeeding session again and it needs to have another powerful let down. Make sense?

Here for breast compressions: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/index.html I'd browse around but look under the hand expression video to see how to help things along.