Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Issues...

Unhappy Bottle Issues...

Has anybody else had issues with baby refusing a bottle (ebm) and can it be overcome?? My 7 almost 8 month old is almost ebf and has only taken a bottle (ebm) prob about 5 times since birth. She was using Avent bottles with silicone nipples and I recently tried Gerber latex without success. She is very much attached to her Gerber latex Nuk pacifier so I thought we could trick her. Does anyone have advice? I have tried sippy cups and they didn't work. I will be returning to work part-time and I am not sure what to do. We have been trying solids, mostly table food, since she rejected baby food and she only really likes cream cheese, yogurt and smashed bananas. I will be working two eight-hour days per week. Is it possible for her to just take solids while I am away at work? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! BTW, I am not the one offering the bottle and I actually haven't been anywhere near the last few attempts.
    Last edited by 1stTimeBFMom; June 30th, 2006 at 04:50 PM.

Default Re: Bottle Issues...

Usually the way to overcome it is by adding bottles to the daily routine. Have some one try every day while you are away. (Not in the next room agonizing over her starving while she freaks out for 10 min. Out of the house. Like you will be while your working.) And have someone do it every day. Whether she's going to DC or not. I have also heard of children who will "wait" for thier mothers. If that is what's going to happen, Feed her right before you go and right when you get back. And at lunch if you can get away. If she's only had a bottle 5x in her whole life it really may just take some getting used to. Make sure DC has fresh EBM to try with when away and see what works. I have always felt like babies will drink out of a bottle rather than starve. But I have heard more than once of kids who will wait for their moms to feed. While that can be a little frusterating for the care providers those children I have heard of didn't starve either! Good luck!

Have you tried nipples with a faster flow? My DD cried for 2 hours yesterday while DH tried the bottle. He thought he was changing the Avent nipple, but he couldn't see that he was still using the #1 nipple instead of #2. I got home, switched nipples, and she ate while I fed her. It was VERY stressful for him and she wouldn't take the bottle at all with the slower flow nipple.

My DS never liked the bottle from 8 weeks on. We did our jobs right and introduced it at 5 weeks without any problems and then gave him a bottle every other day. He refused the bottle at 8 weeks and 12 weeks - each time we had to switch bottles and nipples to convince him to take it. He was never happy about it and rarely would finish a whole bottle. Finally at 6.5 months when he was "smart" enough, he refused the bottle completely. We couldn't get him back on it. This was right around the same time he started solids so I think since he was getting full on solids he felt he didn't need the bottle. Anyway, I was in a panic for several months about what to do. Up until he was 8.5 months I would go and nurse him over lunch so he had at least 1 good nursing, and the daycare provider would mix his BM with the cereal he would eat in the morning. Then he would come home and nurse 2x and still sleep through the night. At 9 months we moved and I had to transition him to a daycare center. I can't nurse him over lunch but he eats solids/table foods well while he is at daycare. They give him a sippy cup and he has slowly learned to drink 1-2 ounces at a time. They offer him the cup 4-5 times a day for at total of 4-6 ounces of breast milk in an 8 hour day. We do this 5 days a week!!! It was and still is very concerning for me but he seems to be doing well, is happy and eats his table foods just as well as the others. He comes home and we nurse 2 times before bed and then he sleeps thru.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you my experience. I know how you feel. At least you are only doing it 2 times a week. I think your baby will be fine on solids. If you can, have them mix the BM with cereal and introduce the sippy cup. The first years' 4 oz disposable cups are the ones we use.

Good luck. Feel free to email me if you wish: tkshuma@yahoo.com