Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek Anyone??

Default Fenugreek Anyone??

I just went and purchased some Fenugreek because my sisters LLL told her that it would help me produce more milk. I called my Ped and she said she didn't know much about it so she didn't recomend me taking it. But I need to produce more milk. Has anyone taking this stuff before, and if so, does it really work? Should I try to talk to another physician? I tried to talk to a pharmisist and they said to talk to my Ped. I just don't want to take something that isn't healthy for me or my baby.
    ASHLEE AKA NATALEES MOMMY
    BORN: 10-26-07
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG
    PROUD MOMMA WHO LOVES TO BREASTFEED

Default Re: Fenugreek Anyone??

Can you expand on why you feel the need to increase your supply? Often times we may think our supply is low when it really isn't.
    Here is a link for you that you may find helpful
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Can you expand on why you feel the need to increase your supply? Often times we may think our supply is low when it really isn't.
    Here is a link for you that you may find helpful

Sometimes my breast feel like they are dry and not full, even when it's been 3 or 4 hrs since I have either nursed or pumped. I am trying to get a good amount stocked up too since I have been back to work. I am just really scared that I am not pumping enough and that I will run out. I only get about 2-3 oz per breast. When my baby starts eating 6-8 oz at each feeding, I'm going to run out fast.
    ASHLEE AKA NATALEES MOMMY
    BORN: 10-26-07
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG
    PROUD MOMMA WHO LOVES TO BREASTFEED

Hi ,

Quote Originally Posted by Mybirthdaybaby View Post
    Sometimes my breast feel like they are dry and not full, even when it's been 3 or 4 hrs since I have either nursed or pumped.
    Breast fullness is not a good indication of your milk production. The best way to determine that you are making enough milk to feed your baby is to monitor "diaper output". Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth/5-6 really wet disposable diapers per day, and about 1-3 bms. As babies grow the frequency of bms can vary. If baby is only having a bm every few days, it should be very big and not at all hard.

Breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. Waiting longer between nursing/pumping for your breasts to "fill up" will not increase your milk supply, and can actually decrease it. Offering to nurse your baby more frequently is the best way to increase your milk.

I am trying to get a good amount stocked up too since I have been back to work. I am just really scared that I am not pumping enough and that I will run out. I only get about 2-3 oz per breast. When my baby starts eating 6-8 oz at each feeding, I'm going to run out fast.
    What kind of a pump are you using? Are you pumping both breasts at the same time? How often are you pumping/how long are you seperated from baby? 2-3oz per breast is actually a lot of milk to be getting per pumping session. Breastfed babies tend to prefer short, frequent feedings. It is very uncommon for even an older breastfed baby to consume the 8oz bottles that we typically see formula fed babies eating.

There are ways to increase the amount of milk you are able to pump as well. Check out this link: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

You might be comforted to know that many moms successfully pump milk for their babies without ever developing a significant "freezer stash". They just pump at work one day, store the milk in the fridge overnight, and then send that milk to daycare with their baby the next day. It can be helpful to store your milk in 1-2 oz quantities, to minimize waste by your child care provider. Many child care providers have no idea what kind of effort a breastfeeding mother puts into pumping milk for her baby, and they may dump leftover milk without giving it a second thought. Communicating with your child care provider is important.

I hope that helps. Keep us posted. It sounds like you're doing a great job, mama!

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; January 24th, 2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    You might be comforted to know that many moms successfully pump milk for their babies without ever developing a significant "freezer stash". They just pump at work one day, store the milk in the fridge overnight, and then send that milk to daycare with their baby the next day. It can be helpful to store your milk in 1-2 oz quantities, to minimize waste by your child care provider. Many child care providers have no idea what kind of effort a breastfeeding mother puts into pumping milk for her baby, and they may dump leftover milk without giving it a second thought. Communicating with your child care provider is important.

You might also find this resource helpful:
    http://www.workandpump.com/freezerstash.htm

I did use fenugreek to increase my supply to build a stash with my first daughter. I had such a stash I had to throw part of it out b/c I never used it. With my second daughter I have just started taking tghe fenugreek again so I can pump in order to let my parents watch her sometimes. My LC told me about the fenugreek and I have taken it with no problems. My GP told me it was safe as well.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I took it and it worked but it gave my LO a very upset tummy. I stopped taking it and then tried it again a few months later just to see if it really was the fenugreek and the same thing happened.

Some people try lots of oatmeal and water...

I don't want to be the judge of if you *need* to use it or not because that can be controversial. However, I can say that when I took it faithfully every day, I did notice an increase in my supply- however, it was a slight increase (perhaps 1 oz per pumping session).
    If you need more info, you can call a LLL leader and they can walk you through it.

I personally don't think you should worry about taking fenugreek if you decide that you need to. The only even mildly worrisome side-effect I know of is that it has the potential to lower your blood sugar, which is only of concern if you are a diabetic. Other than that, fenugreek makes you smell like maple syrup, which is either pleasant or horrible, depending on how you feel about maple syrup! Fenugreek is an herb, but not a dangerous one like Cohosh or Ephedra or many others. If you like Indian or Middle Eastern food, then you've probably already eaten quite a bit of fenugreek, as it is a common spice.

I started taking Fenugreek about a month after I went back to work. I have been taking it for 5 months now. It has really made a difference for me.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07