Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vomit...

Default Vomit...

Luke has been on solids since 4.5 months. He had a little trouble with excessive spit up in the beginning and we cut back to just nursing again for a while around 5 mos. Now he takes solids very well - three times a day, either regular food we are eating or purees with cheerios or crackers/baby cookies. The past few days he has been vomiting/spitting up food alot. I'm not sure what the technical term is but its basically spit up that is food colored and stinks like vomit..so I consider it vomit (someone can correct me if wrong about that). Its not projectile or anything though. Anyway - this has been more frequent in recent days. I would normally just cut back food but he is so hungry lately. He really wants to eat. He nurses great all day from like 5am to 7pm, 6 to 7 times a day. He doesn't nurse at night. I am fearing an allergy and hoping that is not what I'm dealing with. Since he hasnt had much in the way of bad reactions to anything I no longer keep good track of what he gets to eat everyday. If its new, etc. Has anyone had this experience or have any suggestions? TIA.

Default Re: Vomit...

Well I did some reasearch (since no one had the answers here J/K) And its def not vomit. Its just spit up and he is just spitting up food or BM - whatever he just ate. I realized I had added more milk into my diet and it could be that so I am just cutting that back for a while to see if there is a difference. Its harder when the baby's on solids because it could be the solids or it could be what you are eating. He does seem to be doing better. Plus the teething could be affecting him too. Babies do so many weird things when they are teething - it wouldnt surprise me if his stomach was more sensitive because of that.

I don't want to scare you, so take this with a grain of salt.

A friend of mine had a similar issue with her baby. It ended up that the flappy thing (i know the word are technical, but i am sure you can keep up) that closes the stomach from the intestine until the food is ready to move on had seal itself off. so no food could pass through....I doubt that is the case, but I thought I would at least mention it. PLEASE don't freak. I don't mean it that way.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

No I wont freak. I doubt it is the case too since its not happening with everything. He kept down cheerios and a whole bunch of bread yesterday. Although it is good to know that if it continues every time I should consult the doc. Thanks

Is he feeding himself or are you feeding him? If you are spoonfeeding then make sure you are following his cues on when he has had enough - turning head, closing mouth, etc. Even if you are, however, it is still possibly to overfeed since babies will open their mouth to the spoon as a reflex. If he's not self-feeding then he may be eating faster than his tummy can signal fullness. A baby-led approach can help avoid this problem. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Yes, it is possible he is overeating then spitting up. Sometimes he feeds himself, other times I spoon feed him. I am definitely being more cautious about how much he eats. Thanks.