Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limited time to pump at work.

Question limited time to pump at work.

I'm going back to work in March. I'm a teacher and have my planning time at 10:15 - 11:00 each day. That's perfect for my 1st pumpimg of the work day. After that I don't have a break until the end of the day (3:00). I feel that is too long in between... 4 1/2 hours. Will I lose my supply?

Advice would really help.

Default Re: limited time to pump at work.

How many mos. is your son? It depends on his age & your milk supply. I pumped 3x a day--roughly 9am, 12pm, 3pm. The more you pump the better your sopply is I would just make sure you pump extra now before you return to work for a back-up supply. I think it would be best for you to pump every three hours up until he is 7 or 8 mos., if he is taking well to solids at that point you can go every 4 hrs. HTH!

I'm also a teacher and pump at 8:30am and not again til 12:30. So I'm 4 hours in between sessions. My supply has been fine. I am able to pump more in the morning, though, which makes no sense to me-but whatever!

Good luck!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

My LO is 14 weeks old.

I think every 3 hours is best, but more often than not I am 4 hours between my first pump (9:30am) & my second pump (1:30pm). I've not experienced any decrease in supply, BUT, when I do consistently pump every 3 hours, I find my supply goes up a little bit.

Do you get any break while the kids are eating lunch?

our lunches are at the same time

How long is lunch? It only takes me 15 mins to pump (including set-up) so if lunch is 30 mins (?) you'd still have 15 minutes or so to eat. I know it's not alot, but I've gotten very good at eating quickly. Just a thought.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I understand. I went from pumping 2 times to once for a 10hr period. Although I don't have enough to use when I am away, my supply is ok...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I am a teacher too, and I have pumped with DD #1 and #2, but I did it differently each time.

dd#1 I pumped 3 x a day but only for about 10-15 min. each session
    dd#2 I pump 2 x a day for 20-30 min. each session

I get more milk the second way. I am teaching and pumping currently, and this is how I do it. Feed baby at around 6, before we leave for DC. Pump at lunch( while multi-tasking at the computer ) from 10:30-11. Pump after school at 3:00-3:25 or so. When I first went back to work and I was paranoid about my supply, I would get to work a little bit earlier and pump one extra time from about 6:55-7:10.

HTH.

so 2girlmom when you pump for half an hour, are you getting milk that whole time? after like 10 minutes, my milk is only drips and then done. do you stay on and wait for another let down?