Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much cow's milk, don't really want to wean yet

Default how much cow's milk, don't really want to wean yet

My DD just turned one this week. I've dealt with a lot of pressure from my fiance and family to wean her at one year. Now the dr says she should have cow's milk. (Should have taken DD to appt alone). Anyway, my fiance thinks that that is the answer to weaning her soon. Problem, I'm not ready to wean yet!! I don't think DD is either.
    How much cow's milk can I give her (to keep the peace with my fiance) without causing her to wean? I'd like her to decide when she's ready. Thanks

Default Re: how much cow's milk, don't really want to wean yet

I began giving my daughter cow's milk around this time, usually a sippy cup at lunch and dinner. I was still nursing on demand at this time. By the way, she's still nursing and is 26 months. She still only gets cow's milk at those meals. Giving her cow's milk won't necessarily cause her to wean, especially if she's not interested in weaning.

my ds is 16 months and he drinks cows milk once a day at my moms, we go there every morning. luckily i have no pressure to wean him, hugs for that. i commend you for doing what is right for you and your nursling.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cow's milk causing her to wean (so long as you don't give it in a bottle), but be careful that it doesn't fill her up too much so she doens't want other foods. A completely weaned todler isn't supposed to have more than 16-24 oz of milk (or total dairy) in a day.

How many times a day does she currently nurse? Does she eat cheese or yogurt?