Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uneven supply

Question uneven supply

Hi, i have an uneven milk supply my right breast makes waay more milk than my left. my baby is 5 month old and sleeps 10-12 hours at night and when i wake up in the am my right breast is almost always hard and painfull and my left breast is just fine. i dont feed her more on that side so im not sure why it produces soo much milk. i end up spraying her in the face alot of the time when she wakes up in the am to bf. i have tried to feed her more on my left side to see if that would help my right side stop making extra milk but it didnt help. is there anything i can do?

Default Re: uneven supply

s Mama!

I know how uncomfortable that is!

My left breast always produced FAR more than my right. Even with my efforts focused on helping the right breast to "catch up", I was never able to succeed. When Jaden weaned, at ~20 months, she had only been wanting to nurse from my left breast for quite some time. It didn't take her long to figure out where most of the good stuff came from!

It sounds like you are doing everything right, though. The more frequently you empty the lower producing breast, the greater signal it gets to make more milk. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there is a surefire way to even the production.

You're doing great, Mama! Keep it up!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Common for unequal milk production between breasts.

hmm i guess im just sol lol

How long did you try nursing/pumping less often on the right side?

Have you seen this resource?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

its been about a week now but no decrease in the supply on my right side or increase in supply on my left side for that matter

Its better to go to a doctor and check with her.May be a you can have a solution.

Tell us what you have tried this last week. What outside of the spray makes you feel that you are producing to much? Is it uncomfortable? Are you engorged?

yes its very uncomfortable and i wake up very engorged. i just cant seem to get them even. one side is always soft while the other is engorged! i finally got my right side to stop makn soo much milk and now im wakn up with my left side engorged. i guess ill keep tryn and i hope i eventually get them even lol

How many times total are you nursing in a 24 hour period.