Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with OS and OALD

Default Need some help with OS and OALD

My daughter is 4 almost 5 weeks old. She eats every 3-4 hours on one breast only. I usually pump the other breast while shes eating except at night time. I have to go back to work in less than two weeks. Anyways, My daughter is VERY fussy and gassy. She always gags and chokes and sometimes even throws up in the middle of a feeding. I've tried compressions and letting her eat sitting up and nothing has helped. She always unlatches when my milk lets down and milk KEEPS squirting out. It goes everywhere. I've tried expressing my milk before she eats and it still doesnt help. I'm not sure what to do now. I just want her belly to feel better. Should I start exclusivley pumping and giving bottles? She seems to do better when she takes bottles.

Default Re: Need some help with OS and OALD

Hi mama.
    This sounds like a classic over active letdown problem. It may be combined with an oversupply problem as well. How much are you pumping now? You may need to ease back on this.
    What color is your baby's stool?

I'm pumping about 5 oz. a feeding and I only pump the breast that she didn't eat from. And her stools are a dark green right now.....and shes been screaming every time she poops

ok, I sort of thought so. Time to try block feeding and backing off the pump.

This is why:
    Your breast figures out how much milk to make by how much you remove. The fuller the breast gets the more feedback inhibitors are present. These feedback inhibitors slow down milk production. By nursing one breast and pumping the other your body now thinks two babies need to eat. Does this make sense?

The green color of your baby's stool is more than likely caused by drinking more foremilk than hindmilk. Essential I am saying that it is possible that your baby can't eat through all the milk you have in order to reach the back stuff that has a lot of fat in it. So we reduce your supply, so baby doesn't need to eat as much to reach it, and baby feels better, the poop turns yellow again, and everyone is happy. ok?

Fist step:
    Reduce the amount you are pumping off your breast when baby is nursing. Take it back about 1/2 for a few days (4 days or so, you are making a substantial amount of milk right now! Easy does it!!) - remove only 2 ounces or so. Don't allow your breast get or stay, rock hard! Remove more if needed but aim for less.
    Have you tried cabbage leaves to reduce your supply? Place a leave against the skin until it wilts then replace. It will alleviate some of the discomfort of having engorgement (but we are trying to avoid that because of the risk of blocked ducts and mastitis)

Second step:
    pump just enough for comfort, no draining the breast anymore. We are telling the breast that less milk is needed.

Third step:
    Time for some block feeding! One breast per feeding. If that doesn't change baby's stool color, move to increase the time. One breast for two feedings. Start on this and I bet much of your baby's discomfort will be reduced in a weeks time.

Come back with more questions!

So I should stop pumping for now?? I can do that I have a whole freezer full and I've only been pumping for 5 days. lol but when I go back to work will I just pump one breast at a time then rather than two?? And SHe is only eating one breast every 3-4 hours so I should start feeding the same breast twice in a row?? lol Sorry I'm getting kinda confused. and do I just use the cabbage leaves on the breast thats engorged bc of the block feedings??

okay...i think i'm confusing myself more...

You sound frustrated and worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Aly&Layla View Post
    Should I start exclusivley pumping and giving bottles? She seems to do better when she takes bottles.
    Oversupply and overactive let-down are issues that CAN be overcome. How would you feel about working on some management techniques to get your milk production down regulated before making the decision to switch to exclusive pumping?

And her stools are a dark green right now.....and shes been screaming every time she poops

Here is some information about why this happens:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

So I should stop pumping for now??
    That would be my best suggestion. The less milk is removed, the more FIL (feedback inhibitor of lactation) protein builds up, the less milk is made. It's supply and demand in reverse!

when I go back to work will I just pump one breast at a time then rather than two??
    Yes. If your milk production levels eventually fall enough, you may decide to double pump in the future. Initially, block pumping as you would feeding is the optimal solution.

And SHe is only eating one breast every 3-4 hours so I should start feeding the same breast twice in a row??
    About how many wet and poopy diapers does she have in 24 hours? How many total feedings in 24 hours? Is she gaining weight? Growing in length and head circumference?

Here is some helpful information about oversupply (including the whys and hows of block feeding):
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html

do I just use the cabbage leaves on the breast thats engorged bc of the block feedings??
    Right! Here is some information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

She is growing fine. SHe was 7lb 6 oz. and 18in. at birth and at her 1 month check up last week she was 9lb3oz and 21 in. IDK about her head circumference. She has normal wet and poopy diapers. About 10 wet diapers a day with about half being poopy. I'm not sure about total feedings. SHe eats about every 3 hours during the day and at night will even go longer sometimes.

That sounds GREAT! She is getting plenty of milk. My best suggestion is to move forward with block feeding and try to get your milk production down to a comfortable level.

If you have a local LLL leader/group, give them a shout for support!

I defer to Home Exucitive's experience and knowledge. No pumping it is.

Thank you ladies for your help. I go back to work next thursday. EEEK

And feeding the same breast twice in a row has seemed to help. Her poops are getting easier and changing back to normal color. Now she is sick though.