Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overeating = puke?

Default overeating = puke?

I know its say breastfed babies cant over eat but is it possible?
    3 out of the last 6 nights DS has puked his little guts out. and the only thing the nights had in common was him eatting ALOT. i didn't eat anything the same. he will act hungry so i will feed him, thinking hes going through a growth spurt or cluster feeding or something. and well now i'm afraid to feed him at nite. over 2 nites in a row i stopped feeding him more than 2 hours or so. so afraid hes gonna overeat again, then the 5th night he decided to eat for about a hour straight and it came back up everywhere in puddles. so now i'm afriad to feed him for extended periods. hes 8 weeks old now, and has his 2 month appointment monday, will ask the doctor then but until then anybody have any ideas? I hate watching him seeming to be hungry but i'm too afriad too feed him too much. any advice would be great. thanks

Default Re: overeating = puke?

Zoey if your baby has just started spitting up it can be very traumatizing but it's totally normal. If for the 1st 8 weeks nothing and then all the sudden it's happening its normal to worry. Nothing to worry about unless it's projectile vomiting. Which is defined by every RN that I got on the phone between my own sons 8-10 wk period when I SURE something was wrong, as" Vomit that shoots across the room" if that's happening get him into to see somebody sooner but other wise, babies spit up. Things that help are keeping in an upright position for at least an hour after eating and keeping the burp cloths handy! Just when you think they've out grown it and you stop carrying those cloths they start again. I always find it traumatic and the older they get the larger the amounts of "spit up" seem to be but my Pedi always reminds me it's more of a laundry problem than anything else.

its not spit up.
    He had a problem before with vomitting and thats NOTHING compared to this. its projectile and its alot. I keep him upright after he eats, every time he had puked he has been upright. the last time he did it first he gagged/coughed and milk came out of his mouth and nose, so i put a burp rag(cloth diaper) in front of his mouth and up it came, it took out the burp rag right away soaked the nursing pillow and was all over my blanket on the ground so i grabbed him and held him over the blanket til he was done, the blanket was so soaked that a puddle formed with looked like about 4oz of milk in it. another time i was holding him at my computer and it went all over me and him and as i was running him to clean off as it was dripping off both of us he was leaving a trail of vomit in the hall conutining to throw up. just to give you an idea.
    other then being fussy and overly hungry at night he seems fine, plenty of poopy diapers. the problem is at night he constantly wants to eat and the last 3 times i've gave into that he has puked everything up. through that does seem to get rid of his fussiness, the vomitting. i just dont know what to do other than try to regulate his eating myself.

WOW! Ok all I can say is if that were happening to me and my baby I'd go to the doctor. You sound very level headed about it! Do you have access to a nurse advice line? One other question, you say the puking takes care of the fussiness...after it all comes back up he no longer cries from hunger? Or you start the whole thing all over again?

well hes been vomiting/spiting up for a while now, so i've done alot of research on it. he only does it at night so i'm terribly worried. hes going to the doctor monday. generally once it comes up I feed him again and that seems to end it. hes being good right now so i'm hoping tonight wont be another one of those nights. would be nice.