Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 month-old won't take bottle!

Default 2 month-old won't take bottle!

Hello- I'm new here and new to breastfeeding. I have a 2 month old son and I am exclusively bf him. I go back to work (2 days a week) in 3 weeks. I cannot get him to take a bottle! I've tried giving him just-pumped milk so it's the right temperature, I've tried the Medela bottles, and the Playtex Nurser bottles- he hates it! He won't even put his mouth fully around the bottle nipple!

This is causing a lot of stress- I'm worried he won't eat when I'm at work.

Thanks for any help!

Karis
    23 month twins boys
    2 month old boy

Default Re: 2 month-old won't take bottle!

Hi Karis and welcome to the LLL boards. I'm so glad you found us.

Now, on to your question...

Have you been the one trying to give the bottle to the baby? If so, he might be refusing it from you because he knows that you have breasts, and breasts are so much better (in his opinion) than a bottle. Smart baby. ;-) You can try having someone else offer him a bottle. You may even have to leave the house to do it, go for a quick walk, run to the store to grab a couple of small grocery items, etc.

You can also try varying the positioning of baby and bottle, having the person feeding baby hold something that smells like you, or try feeding while moving (walking, rocking chair).

If he outright still refuses a bottle, there are other ways to feed a baby besides a bottle, you just have to get creative. Specialty infant feeding cups, medicine cups, shot glasses, measuring spoons, medicine droppers, medicine pacifiers, straws, whatever you can find around the house.

I have a link for you that gives more ideas, but I can't get it to work right now. No idea why. I'll come back and edit this when I find the article I'm looking for.........found it! http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    Last edited by @llli*LLLShannon; January 22nd, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

thanks for the quick reply! My husband has tried feeding him the bottle and so have I- he refuses no matter what! My husband holds him like I do when I bf- maybe we'll try using something that smells like me next time.

I'm a little worried about all of the alternative feeding methods because he'll be with a babysitter when I'm at work and she watches an 18 mont old as well- so I don't want her to have to use a dropper if it'll take a long time to feed him!

You mentioned alot of alternatives, though. They are mostly unfamiliar to me. Do you think different types of bottle nipples might also do the trick?

Thanks,
    Karis

Oh yes, trying different types of bottle nipples is quite common for many mothers. Some babies hate the brown rubber ones, a few don't like the clear silicone ones, some babies like a bottle nipple that goes back really far in their mouth, other babies prefer a shorter bottle nipple.

Also, offer a feeding before baby is screaming with frustration and hunger. If he's already angry about being hungry, he's less likely to take something new. If you can catch him sleepy, he might be more willing to latch on to the bottle and eat. This theory doesn't hold true for all babies, but it might be worth a try.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Another question for you! If I use frozen bm, how do I heat it and to what temperature? Thanks so much!

Karis

my dd wouldn't take the bottles that have the clear nipples because they seem to be harder than the rubber ones. i bought a pack of the orange rubber ones that are softer and now she will take it! i use the playtex w/ dropins.

Thawing and heating previously frozen expressed milk is fairly simple, actually. A few mothers pull their frozen milk from the freezer the night before, and leave it in the fridge to thaw overnight. Other mothers just put the frozen milk into a cup of warm tap water for several minutes. The tap water cools and typically needs to be replaced at least once before the milk is warm.

Most infants will take the milk at about the same temp as the human body. Certainly not much warmer, otherwise there's a risk of scalds and burns. Eventually, babies will often take cool milk, straight from the fridge. This generally takes some time for baby to get used to, but some babies will start off with cool milk just fine.

This article goes into detail about it all for you. :-) http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Karis View Post
    Another question for you! If I use frozen bm, how do I heat it and to what temperature? Thanks so much!

Karis
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

My 4 month old DD still won't take the bottle. If you search the forum there are lots of tricks that worked for people though nothing worked for me. People also talk about babies cycling-eating more morning and night and not eating at daycare because they don't want the bottle.

The bottle DD fought the least was the breastflow by first years. You should try it. It's different than all the other nipples. It's big and soft like a breast and has a short nipple. It's the only one dd would latch to although most times she treats it like a toy to chew instead of suck. I think I just found out about the bottle too late (last week).

I think la Leche league should consider recommending that working mothers start on a bottle *as soon as* breastfeeding is established even if it means the baby gets nipple confusion and you have to pump exclusively. I waited 6 weeks when I could've started at 2 before I discovered that my OALD had nothing to do with OS. The bottle transition is hard for many LO's and even harder on mom when she has to starve the baby into submission to go back to work (many women do resort to this).

Anyway. I gave up. DD is starting solids now and I'm working on the sippy cup.
    Last edited by aisha1978; January 23rd, 2008 at 05:26 AM.

My 3 month-old is pretty bottle resistant, too. We tried starting him on one as soon as BF'ing was well established (I think he was 2-3 weeks old), but he's just never liked it. And even if he seems game, he tends to chew it more than suck on it. We've had the best luck so far with Breastflow, too (like the pp). But we're not talking good bottle skills, here. I think some babies just don't do "fake" feeds. He also refuses pacifiers and prefers his hand or my clothes to suck on. (My DH has done most of the bottle feeding, all positions, all mama locations).

We tried the dropper last night (or my husband did). It actually went ok. I think he would have preferred Daddy to feed him faster, but ok. My Mom was able to cup feed him when he was really new--thank goodness for Grandmas! It was the middle of the night and I was in lots of pain.

Keep trying different stuff. I figure we'll all find something to work for us eventually. And if it's a no go, at least there's reverse cycling!

Keep us all posted.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

My friend told me she had to syringe feed her DD because she wouldn't take ANY bottles. Maybe that will help if you know your LO is starving and won't take a bottle. I'm sure its a huge hassle to syringe feed 4-5 oz at a time though....