Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about spitting up

Default Question about spitting up

Hi, I am a new mom with a couple of questions. My daughter is 10.5 weeks old and has been using a nipple shield since birth to nurse. In the hospital, the LC gave the shield to me because I have flat nipples. I was planning on trying to wean her from using the shield in a week. However, yesterday, I was apparently too slow when she wanted to nurse and she latched on without the shield. I had to correct her latch, but she is still nursing without the shield, which is great.

It appears that she is getting more milk without the use of the shield and her nursing time has gone down from 30 minutes per session to 15 minutes. Still, she spits up a lot after every meal. She used to spit up before, but it is becoming more violent, literally shooting out. Sorry if tmi. Is she getting too much milk? If she is, how can I monitor it so that she isn't spitting up as much?

Thanks in advance!

Heather

Default Re: Question about spitting up

Does she have any other symptoms? like gagging, look like she's on pain when swallowing, is she fuzzy?

No, she is not gagging, fussy, or acting differently. Simply spitting up a lot, even after she has burped.
    Last edited by usmc20wife05; June 28th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.

The reason I asked was b/c she might have reflux, but even without showing any symptoms. Maybe since she's now eating faster, she's swallowing a lot of air and the combination of that with milk in her small stomach might cause her to spit-up. Wait a little for her to get use to nursing without the shield to see if the spitting reduces after that.

Where is your hubby station? if you don't mind me asking.

I will definately keep an eye on it. My first thought was possibly reflux, but she hasn't had any problems before.

We are stationed at Quantico, and should be receiving orders in Oct for a new duty station; we are hoping for Hawaii!!

Heather

Keep an eye on her, like I said they can have reflux without any symptoms, nothing to worry to much unless she seems to be on pain, and they do tend to outgrow it once they start sitting up and getting more mobile.

Hawaii!! Just in time for when it start getting cold over here! It's kind of a expensive place but you'll love it, I deployed there for only two weeks and didn't want to leave, between work and going out I didn't get much sleep.

Take care and welcome to the forum!

If the baby has reflux, the spitting up would likely be accompanied by general misery. But if the baby is otherwise content, yet seems to be launching nearly every feeding, you should tell your ped. Baby may have a slow pyloric valve. It's an easily corrected problem, but you should mention it and describe the frequency of the spitting up. The tell-tale is the "shooting" milk across the room.