Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can block feeding make things worse before they get better?

Question Can block feeding make things worse before they get better?

I feel so bad for my little guy. He woke up crying this morning & even though he's burped, eating seems to make it worse for him (I think because the breast it was time to switch him to is so full all he's getting is more gas producing foremilk...)
    I switched him back to the softer breast for this feeding, to try to rest his little gut. I'd like to pump the other breast down for him, but I'm afraid to pump because I want my supply to go down not up!
    Help! I need advice

Default Re: Can block feeding make things worse before they get better?

I was worried about making more milk by expressing first too, at first, but I just expressed enough to reduce the initial onslaught, and continued to block feed and it worked very well. Good luck!

Default Re: Can block feeding make things worse before they get better?

for me, it took about 12 weeks before my os calmed down. I started with 3-4 hours for block feeding and then upped it to 6 and then I went up to 8 (give or take). There were many times when I had to express some milk just to take the pressure off. Plus if my lo would take a break I would hand express some onto a burp pad. So essentially, it does get worse before it gets better, but it does get better, it just doesn't happen overnight.

hang in there.