Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp, Stabbing Pain, Deep in Breast = ??

Default Sharp, Stabbing Pain, Deep in Breast = ??

This evening, while nursing DS, I felt what I described in the thread title in my right breast. It felt like it originated from two locations, deep within the center of my breast and way back behind the breast, under my armpit. It started towards the end of our nursing session, and lasted for a few minutes after he was done, then it went away. I had a look at the area around my armpit, and could see no signs of redness or swelling. The skin and the tissue underneath was smooth, no knots or lumps that would indicate a plugged duct.

I have no idea what this could be, or what caused it. I have no symptoms of a potential case of mastitis, so I don't think it could be that. Has anyone else experienced this and who could shed some light?
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Default Re: Sharp, Stabbing Pain, Deep in Breast = ??

I got pains that sound similar to that when I had thrush. It would happen even when I wasn't nursing. Do you or baby have any other signs of thrush?

In baby it would be a white coating on the tongue that doesn't come off when wiped gently with a washcloth or q-tip.

In you it might be redness or itchy/burning sensation on the tips of your nipples, esp when you nurse or leak milk. There might be tiny bumps on your nipple or a cloudy white look in the creases on the tips of your nipple.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    I got pains that sound similar to that when I had thrush. It would happen even when I wasn't nursing. Do you or baby have any other signs of thrush?

In baby it would be a white coating on the tongue that doesn't come off when wiped gently with a washcloth or q-tip.

In you it might be redness or itchy/burning sensation on the tips of your nipples, esp when you nurse or leak milk. There might be tiny bumps on your nipple or a cloudy white look in the creases on the tips of your nipple.
    The itchy/burning sensation is the only other symptom I have. DS is running a mild fever, but he has no white coating in his mouth.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.

Yep it's official: I have thrush.

So far I'm lucky that it only seems bad in my right breast, and my left one is spared (for now). Lance doesn't show any signs of getting it yet either.

What makes this doubly unbearable is the fact that he's going through a growth spurt, which means he's constantly at the breast, and giving me hardly any time to treat it.

I really, truly hate my breasts ATM.

It is rough, I'm sorry that's what it turned out to be. I suggest treating you and your baby at the same time. Even if he doesn't show symptoms he could still be reinfecting you every time you nurse. I first noticed the symptoms in my lo and got a prescription from the pediatrician, but no one told me I needed to treat myself at the same time until I came here for help.

I know it hurts to BF, but you are actually lucky because you don't have to mess with sterilising pump parts, bottles etc. If you use pacifiers, you will want to boil them 20min/day. Wash all your clothes in hot water with a cup of vinegar added. Wash your bras after every use and if you can get away with it, go braless or (even better) topless as much as you can.

How are you treating yourself? Depending on what you're doing it could actually be treating baby at the same time.

Oh, you may also want to rinse your nipples after nursing with half water, half vinegar solution.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    It is rough, I'm sorry that's what it turned out to be. I suggest treating you and your baby at the same time. Even if he doesn't show symptoms he could still be reinfecting you every time you nurse. I first noticed the symptoms in my lo and got a prescription from the pediatrician, but no one told me I needed to treat myself at the same time until I came here for help.

I know it hurts to BF, but you are actually lucky because you don't have to mess with sterilising pump parts, bottles etc. If you use pacifiers, you will want to boil them 20min/day. Wash all your clothes in hot water with a cup of vinegar added. Wash your bras after every use and if you can get away with it, go braless or (even better) topless as much as you can.

How are you treating yourself? Depending on what you're doing it could actually be treating baby at the same time.

Oh, you may also want to rinse your nipples after nursing with half water, half vinegar solution.
    My pediatrician said I should apply Monostat-7 in between each feeding, which as I mentioned, is hard to do, since he's on at least one breast every 5 minutes. Nor do I really live in a climate that's conducive to walking around topless, even indoors, in the middle of January. It's a double-edged sword; I know being topless would definitely feel better since any fabric touching my breasts hurts to the point of agonizing.

Sorry for what you are going through but congrats on your perseverance!!!! Just a small thing. . .I used cool compresses in between nursing just for a few minutes (don't want to encourage too much moisture) to relieve pain and then air dry. --Maybe you can turn the heat up for a few minutes? Or just put on a big T shirt and hold it up high while you are drying. Also, there are these really thin absorbent breast pads that make a great barrier between clothing and breast. I found that they helped as I developed nipples the size of a pencil eraser --The Jolly Green Giant's pencil, that is.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

I guess if you have Monistat on your nipples, your baby is getting that, too, so he is being treated indirectly.

If the monistat doesn't work, you could also try gentian violet. It's an OTC solution that worked for me the second time I got thrush and worked a lot faster than the Nystatin the pediatrician prescribed the first time.

In the meantime, you might want to eat a lot of yogurt, decrease your sugar intake, and consider a probiotic supplement. All those things are supposed to help your body build up the good bacteria that fight thrush in your system.

hth
    --Anonymous

I may have an answer as to why DS isn't showing signs of thrush yet- he's sick.

He's sounded quite congested yesterday morning, and then in the afternoon, after giving him a massage, he spat up some blood. Freaked out, I called his Dr. and was able to get an appointment right away. He was running a temp around 99 degrees, and while they could find nothing out of the ordinary, I was told to keep an eye on his temp and to call right away if it's 101 or if he spits up blood again. He's only had two bowel movements since we came home from the Dr.'s at 4:15 and now- both were dark, almost black.

Now I feel very worried and very alone, and I can't let it out because I don't want to pass my stress onto him.

I'm so sorry your lo is sick. I hope he gets better soon!

Make sure you tell his doctor that you've been putting medication on your breasts. I wouldn't think it is connected to the illness, but he needs to know in case he prescribes something for your lo.

Also, if baby gets antibiotics that can cause a thrush flare-up. Just make sure the doc knows what is going on with you, I guess is my point.
    --Anonymous