Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply

Default Milk Supply

I have returned to work and I pump 3 times a day about every 3 hours but when I pump I only get about 2 oz per brest is there anything I can do to increase my milk supply that I pump? My son is 2 months old and the Dr said he was probably eating about 6 oz's at each feeding. If I dont pump more than 4oz each time how will I keep up with what he eats every day?

Default Re: Milk Supply

ok, infants generally need 24-30 ounces in a day of bm or formula. if your baby generally eats every 3 hours lets say...thats only 3-4 ounces per feeding. your doctor is misinformed sorry to say. docs are mostly trained based on formula feeding and many babies on bottles will take more than 3 ounces but thats because bottles force them to swallow. every suck iniates another swallow, hence, bottle fed babies can be overfed.

and hunny, if your pumping out put is 4 ounces total every three hours, you are doing just fine!!! Especially considering about 1 ounce per breast is seen as INCREDIBLE output for pumping. don't listen to your doc on this one. if you need some info sites with the info I have here, let me know and i can attach or send you some! all my info is per IBCLC's from another site!

God bless, and keep up the good work girl!

Thank you so much for your advise. My Son eats about every 3 hours when he nurses, however when he eats from the bottle he does eat about 4-5 oz if not more or he will get hungry again before the 3 hours so I just wanted to make sure I was pumping enough to keep up with him.

I am in a similiar situation as you, only I can barely pump 2-3 ounces total. One thing that I would recommend is nursing your little one on your lunch break. I have my son in a daycare that is less than a mile away from my office so I can do this.

In order to be able to pump enough milk for him, I pump one breast and nurse on the other every morning for our first feeding. Perhaps you can do that for your first evening feeding after work too.

Here's a link with pumping tips:

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/expressing.html

Also, as the pp pointed out, maybe your little one doesn't need as much as you think:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Jennifer

I agree, you are pumping enough. I am on the same exact schedule as you. In the morning pump at work I usually get between 4-5oz of milk and the other two vary between 3-4oz. My MIL said he was eating up the 4oz bottles pretty quick. I asked her to feed him a little slower, just as he does when he is the breast. My son does not latch on and suck constant, he sometime gives me big smiles or looks for his sister, or responds to a noise and them comes back to the breast. So I told my MIL to try to stretch out the feeding. There is a science behind this, it takes almost 20min for your brain to register that you are full. During BF, it usually takes about 20 min to feed. If your day care provider is feeding your child the 4oz bottle and he/she is sucking it down in 10 min, your baby will want more because his/her brain has not registered yet that he/she is full.