Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - Need to get ready to go back to work

Default Help - Need to get ready to go back to work

I need to start planning on going back to work the second week of March. How do you suggest I start building a milk supply prior to so DC can feed her BM in a bottle? I don't want to confuse my LO or my milk supply by not pumping on a "make sense" schedule. Right now she nurses on one side only each feed. Shall I pump the opposite side until I go back to work?

Default Re: Help - Need to get ready to go back to work

For going back to work, most mothers only need enough for the first day or two. After that, they can pump during the day and give that milk to their baby the next day.

To build up this supply, you can try pumping after feeding at just one feeding a day. It won't take long to get enough for one day.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Would it mess up things if I pump the breast opposite of the one my LO nurses on? Right now my LO nurses on one side each feeding. It sounds like I would only need to do this right before I go back to work to get aprox. a 2 day supply built up, then do it daily to maintain the supply. It sounds easier than I imagined. Maybe I will make it BF'ing and working. Thank you!

From what I understand that is the best way to get your supply up and pump since it stimulates the let down. As long as your little one doesn't mind I think it will work.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Quote Originally Posted by criszackkeni View Post
    Would it mess up things if I pump the breast opposite of the one my LO nurses on? Right now my LO nurses on one side each feeding. It sounds like I would only need to do this right before I go back to work to get aprox. a 2 day supply built up, then do it daily to maintain the supply. It sounds easier than I imagined. Maybe I will make it BF'ing and working. Thank you!
    If you were to do this at the same time every day for several days in a row, it would increase your supply. Your little may or may not mind; *you* may or may not mind.

However, most mothers don't need to do this for more than a couple of days, just enough for the first day or two of work, so that rarely upsets baby or changes the mother's supply.

Going back to work after the birth of a baby is scary for almost all mothers, but once they get the details worked out, and feel comfortable with the plans (and comfortable with the fact that the whole experience doesn't usually go quite as you envisioned!), it's not quite as upsetting. *hugs*
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I tried what was suggested and it worked for a few weeks be then when the stress of work came, down went the supply. I was pumping in the morning, twice at work, and twice when I came home just to have enough for the next day. I wish I would have had a jump start and I would have built up a freezer stash. Fresh is best but frozen is still better than formula.

If I had to do it all over again I would pump the breast opposite of what baby feds on, at least twice a day until I returned to work.

my 2 cents
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBworking.html

heres the link to the working pages on the web site....
    maybe if you read some you'll feal a little bit beter about your return to work.

don't be afraid to get ahold of your local leader she can help too...
    this book might be a good place to start
    Nursing Mother, Working Mother, by Gale Pryor: Mothers who have decided to combine breastfeeding with working will find this an immensely helpful and reassuring book. The author includes practical information about planning for and returning to employment, clear concise tips on breastfeeding, pumping, storing, and transporting milk, and possible alternatives to full time employment such as job sharing, working from home, and staying home full time. The book suggests numerous ways mothers can build and maintain closeness with their babies in spite of separation. (Softcover, 184 pages)

Quote Originally Posted by babygurl View Post
    I tried what was suggested and it worked for a few weeks be then when the stress of work came, down went the supply. I was pumping in the morning, twice at work, and twice when I came home just to have enough for the next day. I wish I would have had a jump start and I would have built up a freezer stash. Fresh is best but frozen is still better than formula.

If I had to do it all over again I would pump the breast opposite of what baby feds on, at least twice a day until I returned to work.

my 2 cents
    . I was in the same boat. I would pump a couple times a day too, just to increase my supply, so that when you pump at work you pump enough! You live and learn.

Thank you all for your advise and suggestions. I think I will get a small supply up prior to returning to work as I fear returning to work will be stressful due to changes in the office they have made. Then I will continue to pump while I'm at work. Again, Thanks!

Don't forget to come back here and let us know how it goes!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader