Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why am I so obsessed with pumping???

Default why am I so obsessed with pumping???

Rielly-Anne will be 14 months old soon. Since she turned one, I have become a slave to my pump. I even went out and bought a new Medela PIS, which I could have easily gotten by without. I stay a home, so I've never really had to pump. I pumped for awhile in the beginning due to OS, but none much since then. We decided a couple months ago that when Rielly-Anne is almost 2 we would try for another. Ever since then I have been going crazy with the pump.

I don't want her to have cow milk when she can have the real deal, kwim. She usually gets one sippy a day of bm, the rest of the time it's water or nursing (mostly at night - she's a reverse cycler) I am scared that I'll get pg and my milk will dry up and she won't have any bm. I've currently got about 200oz frozen, nicely labelled with a "use by this date" tag on them. I'm now pumping 4 - 5 times a day, and getting anywhere from 5 - 8 oz each time.

Am I really going overboard or should I just count my blessings and be happy that I am able to give her so much?
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Default Re: why am I so obsessed with pumping???

I think only you can decide if you are going overboard but it sounds like a bit much to me!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I would calculate how much she drinks per day and pump accordingly so that the milk you pump will be used by the "expiration date" on them. After 1 year, they are supposed to have 16 oz of milk a day so pumping 20-40oz a day seems a lot to me. I personally wouldn't do that to my breasts, I can only take 1-2 pumping sessions per day, after that it hurts a lot.

I'd say that if pumping doesn't bother you, then maybe take a look at what your DD will actually use and look into donating the surplus.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I'd say that if pumping doesn't bother you, then maybe take a look at what your DD will actually use and look into donating the surplus.
    I actually donated tons of bm in the beginning thanks to OS. And I have a deep freezer that the bm is stored in, so I know it will keep for a year. I've just become so paranoid that she's not getting enough. Most people worry about this in the newborn stage, not at this point. She has the proper amount of wet/dirty dipes, is a good eater of solids, nurses all night long and at naptime, and is quite chunky for her age. I don't why I'm so paranoid all of a sudden.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

I Say You Do What You Think You Can Handle On Pumping. I Wouldn't Over Due Your Self Though. That Is A Lot Of Pumping. How Long Do You Plan On Nursing?
    ASHLEE AKA NATALEES MOMMY
    BORN: 10-26-07
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG
    PROUD MOMMA WHO LOVES TO BREASTFEED

This is only my opinion, but man I wish I didn't have to pump. I work full time and I would absolutely love it if I could only breastfeed. Why anyone would want to pump if they didn't have to is beyond me!!!!!!!!!!! I can not wait until I am finished pumping. However I do love to breastfeed!!!!

maybe your already pg?
    do you have your cycle back?
    I would think you could start to cut back on the pumping, try over a few days and see. don't try to pump wean to fast you can get a clog or worse and you don't want that.
    How often do you think she is nursing at night?
    Kelly moms has a great page about toddlers and cows milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    maybe your already pg?
    do you have your cycle back?
    I would think you could start to cut back on the pumping, try over a few days and see. don't try to pump wean to fast you can get a clog or worse and you don't want that.
    How often do you think she is nursing at night?
    Kelly moms has a great page about toddlers and cows milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk
    I know I'm not pg - you have to actually have sex for that to happen! Still no return of AF. Rielly-Anne loves cow milk. She's had it a couple times, but I just can't see giving her milk from a farm animal when she can have human milk. I just can't wrap my mind around that. I really don't mind pumping so much, and no issues with soreness. I want to nurse her for at least two years, but let her decide when to wean. I guess I'm mainly worried that as she gets older and is nursing less and less, she will need more milk in a cup. Right?
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

As she gets older, if she still wants it from the tap, that's where she'll go. DS is almost two and gets all of his milk that way. He drinks a bit of juice (about an ounce a day), water and right now some Kefir b/c he was on antibiotics.