Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too Much Milk?

Default Too Much Milk?

My lo is now 2 weeks and 3 days old. Right from the beginning, I did notice that I had OALD and for a few feedings it was tough to get her to stay on. Meanwhile, the nurses were accusing me of a supply issue (I didn't really get to feed her on the first day a whole lot due to her inhaling a lot of fluid on the way out) and so the wanted me to pump. When I pumped, I got 2 ozs on my right side straight off which ended the supply issue discussion but now I seem to be able to pump out 3 - 4 oz per side. I also still feel very full in my breasts as though still engorged. I have been having latching problems on my left side. Finally, the lactation consultant weighed my baby before and after feeding and found that she had eaten about 2 1/2 ozs. Mostly, she will just eat from one side and then snooze for about 20 mins to 1 hour and then want to eat again. I guess I am wondering if at this point I can have too much milk and what I should do if that is the case. I would add that I am only pumping the side she doesn't eat from for supply and relief from discomfort. I am not pumping after she eats so I don't think that is making the supply bigger!
    Wife to Timothy (August 5, 2000), Mother to Kaitlyn Rose (June 11, 2006) and Rebecca Abigail (January 4, 2008)

Default Re: Too Much Milk?

It is common to get some engorgement during the early days of breastfeeding. It takes a while for your supply to regulate to your baby's needs. That's the good news.

The bad news is that any pumping- whether it is before or after nursing- tells your body to keep making more milk than the baby is taking. If you absolutely must pump to relieve discomfort, try to pump the minimum amount you need to feel comfortable. After a while, your supply should start to regulate downwards.

Another way to deal with the discomfort of being overfull is cold cabbage leaves. Keep them in the fridge and tuck them inside your bra, replacing them when they grow warm. There is supposed to be a natural chemical compound in the cabbage that helps to reduce your supply.

HTH, and hang in there!

Sorry, I should have explained that I mostly just pump to store it or when she misses a side (sometimes one is enough). I am also wondering if this is normal to have so much so soon. I didn't do anything really different than with my first and it just seems so weird to have so much milk!
    Wife to Timothy (August 5, 2000), Mother to Kaitlyn Rose (June 11, 2006) and Rebecca Abigail (January 4, 2008)

It can be within a normal range. Many of us are copious produces. I agree that pumping is not a good idea right now. Pump to releave fullness, thats it. If you have a tendency to produce large quantities in particular you need to exercise caution when pumping. It's like your breast has a hair trigger and produces extra milk with any additional feedback (pumping). hth