Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plugged duct for over a week

Default plugged duct for over a week

I have had a plugged duct now on the left side for a week and a half. It hurts. Its not getting better. Nothing helps really. It hasn't turned worse though. Could it be something else? It had plenty of these when my LO was around 7 months. About one a week, they lasted maybe 48 hours. I used to try doing something about it like massage, heat, etc. trying to get LO to nurse a lot, etc but it didn't work then and doesn't now. My LO doesn't nurse much anymore (23 months) so she doesn't nurse long enough to make the plug come out. I do not own a pump.

Any suggestions on what to do- maybe wait longer? I stopped wearing a bra around home to see if that helps. Is this something else? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Default Re: plugged duct for over a week

I'm not sure this will help, since your LO isn't nursing a lot, and is older. Have you tried nursing your babe on all fours? Sounds strange, but maybe the added gravity on your breast will help resolve the plug. OUCH! I used to hate plugged ducts.....

ouch..
    have you tried hand expressing after a shower? Heat/relaxing helps.
    Some times you realy have to compress to get the milk moving...
    is your so willing to "help"....?

Ouch! Don't know what I'd do if I had a plugged duct for more than 2 days. . . do you have a friend with a pump you could borrow? hope you gets some relief soon!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Thanks for the support. I have left it since yesterday when I posted the first time, and it seems a little less painful. When my LO wakes up, I will try the suggestion about nursing and I'll keep trying to massage it too....I hope this goes away soon!!! I think it may be because my LO often doesn't nurse very long at a time. So the milk just gets flowing then it stops... since I've had trouble in the past with thrush, I don't want to use someone else's pump...maybe its time I saved up for one for next time, in case this happens again.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Some mothers have just as much luck with hand expression. More info here:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html
    More on plugged ducts:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr07p76.html
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Mary

i was told with massage to do it not only on your breast, but also in your armpit area as the ducts extend up that far. it seemed to help me. also try hot compresses.

Hi I have some experience with plugged ducts so here goes: what really helps mine is get an athletic sock and fill it with 3-5 cups of rice, pop it in the microwave for a minute or so- be careful not to over heat it- it will be much warmer when it sits on you for a minute than right out of the microwave. Let it sit in your nursing bra on your plugged duct area for 10 min or so. Then get your LO to nurse with her chin pointed towards the area. Works like a charm for mine!

Check out http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=33&Itemid=61

Dr. Newman discusses various therapies for persistent plugged ducts, including therapeutic ultrasound -- almost always successful with a single treatment. Check out Newman's website. Most physical therapists will not know about this use of ultrasound, so copy the info on the site to take with you if you are to have this done. Chances are your state requires a physician/ARNP/PA referral for ultrasound.

I am in a similar situation as the original post, except my child is only 13 mos, but loves to eat solids more than nurse. I own a pump, but would pumping actually make things worse in the long run, b/c it would mess w/ supply?

Help.