Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning and allergy. (10 month old) Help!

Default Weaning and allergy. (10 month old) Help!

My lo is 10 months old and I would like to begin the process of weaning. My plan was to breastfeed for a year, and we are nearly at that point. I am really confused about several things.

1. He is allergic to regular formula, soy, and goat's milk. He breaks out in a bad rash whenever I try to give him anything. Ugh! What else should I try?

2. He never took a bottle but drinks a mixture of juice and water from a sippy cup, probable 6 oz per day. He still breastfeeds 6 or 7 times in the day and once at night, so if he won't take a bottle and if he is allergic to the various milks, what is used to supplement the breastmilk? He does eat 3 solid meals per day and snacks, but what takes the place of the breastmilk if he isn't getting it from somewhere else?

3. I have looked and I can't find the allergy board on this website. Where is it?

For as psyched as I am that I breastfed throughout this time and for the many challenges I overcame (woo hoo!), weaning is seeming to be the hardest. I feel like I am totally batting in the dark. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Weaning and allergy. (10 month old) Help!

heres a link from kelly moms..
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

talking to your doctor about what to suppliment with would be wise.
    The allergy part of the board is down twards the bottom.

You could try coconut milk mixed with water. Lots of good fats for a growing brain!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I see the dilemma. How open are you to pumping after you wean? For a child that is allergic to dairy and soy it can be very difficult to balance everything out. It is one of the reasons that I will be nursing as long as Will is interested.

Hi and welcome!

I just posted a very long response to a very similar question.

I hope this helps a little ....

Oh - and the allergy part of the forum is here.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)