Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question regarding weaning...

Default Question regarding weaning...

I need a bit of help, here is some background info:

My baby is 10 months old, he has been breastfed via pumping and storing breastmilk. He was born with a cleft lip and palate, so he cannot suck, so I have been pumping for him feeding out of a special bottle. He has had lip repaired at 10 weeks, palate to be repaired around a year.

I plan to wean him by one year old. My question is how to stop using pump without pain/engorgment. I have been trying to lessen the use of my pump, I went from every 3 hours, to every 6 hours, and that was ok. Now I am goint every 8-10 hours between pumping, but I am engorged and painful by that time,. I have been doing this for a few weeks now, I thought it would be better by now.

Maybe I am pumping too much? I pump til there is no more milk...do I need to only pump half? I just want to be able to wean myself I guess, off the pump! How do I do that? ANy ideas?

thanks in advance!

Dara

Default Re: Question regarding weaning...

I do not have any experience in this personally, but I would suggest pumping less at each session. When there is mild left in the breast after a feeding (or pumping) that tells the body to make less next time. When you drain the breast, that tells the body to make more. Pump enough that you are comfortable (i.e. relieve the engorgement/overfullness) but do not drain the breast entirely.

Default Re: Question regarding weaning...

that makes sence, thanks! THat is what I was wondering!