Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Whoa gassy!

Default Whoa gassy!

My 7 week old has had really bad gas for the last two weeks, and went a full week without B.M. She has had formula a couple times when she was home with Daddy, and her dr. says it is the iron, She has been a full week without any and still really gassy, and on day 3 without B.M. again. Any suggestions to what else it could be or how to relieve it. I have tried gripe water, it didn't help. Also had to give her a little bit of glycerine suppository on the advice of Dr. I don't want to have to do that again. Thanks

Default Re: Whoa gassy!

hmmm...is she in pain with the gas? I know my 7 week old has gas all the time, but she has been gassy since birth. The longest she has gone, though, is one day without a bm.

I have read that bfed babies can go up to a week or more without a bm when they get a older than 6 weeks.

yup seems to really be in pain. i read the same thing about a week without but when she went it wasn't little and wasn't easy.

I have the same problem with my 3mo old ds. He seems to have mega-gas which bothers him and he can't seem to figure out how to poop. I have tried everything. The worst part is that it wakes him up at night. The only thing that has worked has been gently moving his knees toward his chest and using a glycerin sliver. (Just a sliver - your doctor forgot to tell you to cut it in half or thirds - not a whole one - youch!) Does anyone else have the waking up problem and was it outgrown??

i think my bb wakes up when he's in pain w/gas. not sure...

my 6 mo old has always had a problem with reflux, gas, distended abdomen. i've brought him to the osteo as well and trying out exercises with him. i normally use anti-colic drops (both homeopathic and Infacol) which works fine becos it brings out the farts and burps.

i've also been advised by both my osteo and paed to watch the foods i eat becos some can be gas-causing like broccoli, cabbage, grains, spice etc. so now i keep a food diary...

My dr did tell me a 1/2 for glycerin it was only in for about 2 mins worked out really well she goes daily now on her own. we completely avoid formula as a supplement, which seems to help but she is still really gassy i am going to start logging what I eat. Does anybody know about how long it takes to go through to the milk. So if i eat steak today it bugs her tomorrow kinda thing?

Krameric,
    my son had really bad gas and constipation as a baby, at 2 1/2 he still suffers with bm problems but the gas is okay he sleeps good now but it took a long time. I think somewhat b/c of gas some out of habit. He got used to co- sleeping when he wasn't feeling good.

Smile Re: Whoa gassy!

Yeah, I have tried every diet change possible, but I can't just eat bread!! None of it worked. His symptoms seem unrelated to anything. I would also like to know how long it takes food to get in the breast milk...anyone know?

onthemovemommy - glad to know the gas gets better!!

snort - where do you get infacol? what was the homeopathic remedy?

HELP! Now we have poop that looks like it got frothed and suggestions. She is super gassy again, the gripe water is helping with that.