Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping as baby gets older?

Default Pumping as baby gets older?

I have a happy EBF 7 month old DD, and I've just gone back to work. Luckily, supply is not an issue and I easily pump 16oz a day in 2 sessions at work, and BF her 4 times a day on top of that (4-5am, 8am, 6pm, 10-11pm). She takes 10oz while I'm gone, plus a few more mixed in her cereal. She's not enthusiastic with the solids, but is up to maybe 2 tbsp of cereal 2x daily, and 2 oz of fruit/veg 2x daily.

My question: how much can I expect I'll need to nurse/pump for her over the next 6 months or so? I know lots of LO over a year are maybe bf am and night plus a few little snacks, but I'm not sure how to get to that stage from where we are now. Can anyone suggest how it might go? How long do I likely have to keep pumping? 3 mos? 6 mos? Having some guidelines or experiences of others would be really helpful. I know it varies a lot, but I have no idea how long, especially with this pumping thing.

Thanks!!
    S

Default Re: Pumping as baby gets older?

Many mothers continue pumping to provide expressed milk for their babies until their infants are about a year old. At this time, many mothers choose to offer other milk(s) to their child, so expressed milk isn't as necessary anymore.

Around the time that baby is offered other milks, and is taking them reliably with no effects, mothers often choose to stop pumping. Most mothers find that stopping pumping cold-turkey one day doesn't work so well, as their body is used to producing milk, so they experience uncomfortable fullness and leaking. A more comfortable way to wean from pumping is to drop a pumping session every few days. You can also try making the pumping sessions shorter. This works because milk left in the breasts tells the body that it's not needed, so the body slowly slows down milk production at that time.

Even after weaning from the pump, lots of mothers continue to nurse their baby when they are together as long as they wish. Evenings, mornings, weekends, sick days.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I thought I was going to pump wean at 1, and The Boy is now 13 months, and I am down to 2 sessions, but I intend to keep those up for a while, because I don't want to give him any other milk, but I want him to have some milk during the day at daycare.

Going down to two sessions from four (three at work, one at home), I started by reducing the time for the sessions I wanted to drop. I went from 20 minutes, to 15, to 10, to 5... I dropped session 2 and 4, so that worked out really well for me. It took me a couple of weeks, but I was a bit paranoid about blocked ducts and such.

Good luck!
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

I just reduced the amount of pumping sessions over the months- I think I was at 2/day at 7 mos and 1/day at around 10 mos. I would have kept pumping past a year, but Nora started drinking less and less of her bottles as her 1st birthday approached. I suppose she weaned me off the pump, which was fine with me. She still nurses all the time when we're together and it hasn't harmed my supply at all- I just don't make much milk during the day on weekdays anymore (don't ask me how my boobs know it's Saturday, but somehow they do).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous