Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Timeline and amounts to bf?

Default Timeline and amounts to bf?

I have a happy EBF 7 month old DD, and I've just gone back to work. Luckily, supply is not an issue and I easily pump 16oz a day in 2 sessions at work, and BF her 4 times a day on top of that (4-5am, 8am, 6pm, 10-11pm). She takes 10oz while I'm gone, plus a few more mixed in her cereal. She's not enthusiastic with the solids, but is up to maybe 2 tbsp of cereal 2x daily, and 2 oz of fruit/veg 2x daily.

My question: how much can I expect I'll need to nurse her over the next 6 months or so? I know lots of LO over a year are maybe bf am and night plus a few little snacks, but I'm not sure how to get to that stage from where we are now. Can anyone suggest how it might go? How long do I likely have to keep pumping? 3 mos? 6 mos? Having some guidelines or experiences of others would be really helpful. I know it varies a lot, but I have no idea how long, especially with this pumping thing.

Thanks!!
    S

Default Re: Timeline and amounts to bf?

Some mothers stop pumping at one year, some continue for 18 months or more. It all depends on your preferences and your baby's needs.

You may stay on that same routine quite a while longer. Rest assured that nursing naturally spaces as babies grow into toddlers.

My DD will be a year in 3 days. I went back to work when she was 4 months. She eats solids 2x's per day and maybe one snack. I nurse on demand on the weekends, but when I work, this is my schedule:

6:45 am pump one side and nurse the other
    10am pump
    lunchtime nurse
    3pm pump
    5:30pm nurse
    8:30pm nurse

Up until about a week ago this was my schedule. I recently started weaning myself from my pump. I slowly gave up my 3pm session and plan this week to start on the 10am session. So far I haven't noticed any supply problems. My hope is to only pump in the morning while I nurse the other. I'll still be nursing about 4x's/day.

HTH!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

It sounds like my LO is on the same schedule as yours. I would like to stop pumping during the day after she turns 1 (in two months) as well. Are you replacing EBM with cow's milk after dropping pumping session? I am confused as to whether babies just go from milk to solids (like having lunch instead of a bottle) or if they still get the milk, but just less and with a meal? What does your LO eat during the day?

Quote Originally Posted by dinkey98 View Post
    My DD will be a year in 3 days. I went back to work when she was 4 months. She eats solids 2x's per day and maybe one snack. I nurse on demand on the weekends, but when I work, this is my schedule:

6:45 am pump one side and nurse the other
    10am pump
    lunchtime nurse
    3pm pump
    5:30pm nurse
    8:30pm nurse

Up until about a week ago this was my schedule. I recently started weaning myself from my pump. I slowly gave up my 3pm session and plan this week to start on the 10am session. So far I haven't noticed any supply problems. My hope is to only pump in the morning while I nurse the other. I'll still be nursing about 4x's/day.

HTH!

I don't pump but my DS is just over a year old and he nurses 3-7 times a day and at least 1-2 times at night still.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

The length of time you'd like to pump really depends on you. My son will be one year this month, and I plan to stop pumping then. I have a huge freezer stash, so he will continue to get that in a bottle during the day while I nurse in the morning and at night. My coworker's son is 14 months old, and she still pumps at work. He does not get cow's milk.

I plan to stop pumping, because I am so ready to be done pumping! I love BFing, but it's a struggle to make myself pump. I'm just happy I've made it to a year

After my freezer stash is gone, DS will either be offered cow's milk or water in a sippy cup (probably cow's milk as he already gets water).

It's recommended to BF for at least a year, so I guess that's my big reason for pumping until a year, and I didn't want to give my son formula.

It's a personal decision though!

I would stop pumping at 1, give cows milk, follow on formula or water in the day, and then BF as soon as you get home, at night, and before work in the morning, then on days you are not at work, offer breast feeds during the day as well. You will probably find that after a day or so your supply adjusts quite comfortably and you should be able to keep going as long as you want

Quote Originally Posted by laureenc View Post
    It sounds like my LO is on the same schedule as yours. I would like to stop pumping during the day after she turns 1 (in two months) as well. Are you replacing EBM with cow's milk after dropping pumping session? I am confused as to whether babies just go from milk to solids (like having lunch instead of a bottle) or if they still get the milk, but just less and with a meal? What does your LO eat during the day?
    I'm not replacing EBM with cow's milk just yet. I still have a big stash of frozen EBM, so I'll go through that first. (Haven't even gotten into it yet.) Today, I will begin weaning from my mid-am pumping session. Then I won't be pumping anymore at work.

For her mid-am solid (I like to call it brunch) she'll have cereal w/ fruit or chunks of banana and O's or egg yolk or yogurt. I pretty much give her anything. She even had pancakes with us once.

For dinner, we all eat at the table and she eats what we eat. (Unless it's really spicey hot or greasy or something.

I keep a couple of jars of baby food on hand just in case I'm in a pinch. Diced fruits and veggies and baby pasta pick-ups.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by laureenc View Post
    Are you replacing EBM with cow's milk after dropping pumping session? I am confused as to whether babies just go from milk to solids (like having lunch instead of a bottle) or if they still get the milk, but just less and with a meal? What does your LO eat during the day?
    My son is almost 19 months old and he never got cow's milk. He nurses morning, before nap, before bedtime and a bunch of times at night and I give him some yogurt and cheese during the day. As far as I know, if your child nurses 3-4 times a day and eats some yogurt, cheese or other calcium-rich food there is no need for cow's milk.

My daughter is 13 months old and doesn't drink cows milk either. My family thinks I'm crazy for not giving her whole milk the day she turned one, but my doctor said she doesn't need it - that people don't need cows milk so long as they get calcium and vitamin D from other sources. So she nurses throughout the day and night and then gets water in a sippy cup with meals and I give her yogurt made with whole milk and plenty of cheese.