Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help...is she just growing up?

Default Help...is she just growing up?

DD will be one this coming weekend. I'm a working mom who is in the process of pump weaning. I have over 800oz in the freezer that I've been defrosting for her. The last two weeks she has not been interested in drinking milk from a bottle (or cup) at all. She drinks 1 or 2 five oz bottles until I get home from work. She eats some solids, although they're mostly carbs...crackers, cheerios, rice cakes, pasta, banana and no jar food. At first I thought it was the fact that the milk had been frozen. It does have a slightly funny smell and taste but she's always drank it in the past just fine.

Today I left her 2 bottles with milk I pumped this weekend and she still isn't interested so I don't think it's because it's been frozen. She has a milk/egg allergy so I'm worried that she isn't getting enough nutritious food. She nurses 3-4 times before bed and does not nurse at night. Has anyone's LO gone through this stage? Is she just bottle weaning? Is she just growing up and realizes that she'd rather wait for the tap?

Default Re: Help...is she just growing up?

My kids sometimes go through stages where they just don't want as much as normal. Other times, they eat more than I do, it seems like! So maybe this is just a phase?

Have you tried playing with the temp of the milk you're serving? Perhaps her tastes are changing so that she likes it cooler?

Oh, and 800oz?!?! Wow. That's more than I ever had in my freezer, combined. Kudos!

I have not tried playing with the temp, I'll try that tomorrow. I'm hoping it is just a phase.
    Thanks for the Kudos...I'm afraid it's all going to go to waste because of her new eating schedule. It bums me out because I worked so hard to pump...pumping up to 6 times a day the first 4 months I went back to work.

I had a similar issue - during my daughter's first 8 months I pumped quite a bit in preparation for me student teaching from the time she was 8 months to 12 months. During her first 8 months, I took several classes so she was given expressed breastmilk in a bottle from the time she was 2 1/2 weeks old. She never had a problem drinking thawed breastmilk until she was 8 months old. My sister watched her during the daytime and would defrost breastmilk for her - but my daughter would only drink an ounce or two and wasn't easy to feed that to. So I started nursing her at my lunch break and she would only drink 2 - 5 ounces a day from a bottle. Unfortunately we froze the breastmilk in bags of 5 ounces so we have wasted a lot and it really saddens me. I'm back to staying at home with her now but if I go out and someone gives her a bottle, it's the same thing - just an ounce or two and the rest goes down the drain. *sigh*

Does it make a difference if you give her the breastmilk in a sippy cup instead of a bottle? It doesn't for my daughter, but maybe it would for yours.

Otherwise - I've heard you can make yogurt with breastmilk - maybe you could look into doing that so it doesn't go to waste.