Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what to do when you feel empty?

Question what to do when you feel empty?

I'm not sure what the issue is here, I've been BF all day it seems and my baby still seems hungry? I tried pumping just now and only got under an ounce he sucked that back in a micro-second and still appears hungry - I don't think I have anything left in me to feed him and he just looks frustrated when he's feeding.

Any ideas ??? I need help ....

Default Re: what to do when you feel empty?

Sounds like it could be a growth spurt. How old is your baby?

Pumping is not a good indication of how much milk you are producing as baby is able to remove milk from your breast more efficiently than any pump.

Generally, the more you breastfeed, the more milk your body will produce. So if it is a growth spurt, your baby's constant sucking will stimulate milk production, which should catch up with baby's demand in a day or so.

So, keep breastfeeding, drink sufficient amounts of water, and eat and rest well.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

he will be one month on wednesday ...

How old is your baby? The most likely bet is that he's going through a growth spurt and telling your body he needs more food, in which case your body will soon catch up with his need. He may not be getting very much at this point in the day but demand triggers supply and it's quite possible you'll wake up with melons tomorrow morning.

As the other poster mentioned, pumping is never ever a good indication of your supply, ESPECIALLY if he's been nursing constantly for a while. Pumps aren't very efficient compared to babies. Also, the design of a bottle pretty much forces baby to suck it all down relatively quickly regardless of how hungry they actually are.

Other possibility that wouldn't have occurred to me a week ago but I mention because my month old has started up in the past few days. It may not specifically be food that he wants. My little will get himself worked into a frenzy, for all appearances because he wants to eat. It'll be a struggle to latch him on, he'll nurse frantically for a minute or so, pull away, bang his head on my breast, and then use it as a pillow. Could it be he wants the comfort of momma and breast, not necessarily the food?

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

I agree... sounds like a growth spurt to me
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Just keep it up, He is signaling your body to make more milk. I remember being really scared when LO was around that age. He wanted to be on the breast all the time, and it never seemed to satisfy. Luckily, I had some people who I could call, or ask in person at my church. I hadn't found you llladies yet Those women encouraged me. They let me know that it is completely normal and to just keep it up because it gets better.

Growth spurt! Here's some information:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/spurt.html

When he gets frustrated at the breast, it might help to take a break and calm him down (rub, pat, walk, sing, rock--whatever works for your baby), take a few deep breaths yourself, then start over. Remember that you can put your baby back on the first breast if he seems unsatisfied after nursing on the second. Breast compressions might help as well:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html