Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help with slow feeder

Default help with slow feeder

My son was born 3 weeks ago and had no problem latching on other than when I was engorged we needed to use a breast shield. Overcame that problem but now he seems to only want to feed for 5-10 minutes at a time and is wanting to feed about every 45 minutes. In the beginning it would take him about 45 minutes to feed and would feed about every hour or so. My husband and I decided to introduce a bottle about 5 days ago and he seemed to do fine with that. I am pumping during the feeding session that he is getting a bottle. I am also pumping after each feeding to increase my milk supply so I can freeze the milk for future use. I am so frustated right now that I just want to give up or I just want to pump and give him bottles. my husband is against solely bottles because of the bonding issue.

One last thing is when he is feeding he falls asleep easily and is hard to kept awake. When he was born he weighed 5 lbs 15oz and 19 in long. Now he weighs over 7 lbs so I know he is getting enough to eat. I am just frustrated that he is feeding so often. I have tried calling a couple of la leche coaches but have not heard back.

Please help me and my son!!

Default Re: help with slow feeder

sounds like normal baby to me.
    They need to feed like that, sometimes its every hour!
    They strech out feeds as their tummy gets a little bit bigger.
    At 3 weeks old he is still trying to help your milk supply with all the nursing sessions.
    good luck

It's normal for a newborn to eat so often, they're working on establishing their milk supply. It can be very overwhelming the first few weeks, it's a period of adjustment and learning for both of you, but it does get better. Be careful with the pumping to increase supply if you don't really need to. you can create an oversupply and might some problems with that later, but the idea of building a reserve stash is a good idea, just don't pump too often in one day. Also be careful with the bottles, it easier for a baby to get use to the fast flow of them and might start refusing the breast, the pump is not nearly as good as your baby to keep your supply, and going to solely pumping can decrease your supply. Feeding a baby straight from the tap is so much easier and less time consuming than pumping and bottle feeding.

It looks like you have a great supporter, your husband, I'm glad he sees breastfeeding as more than just nutrition. Let the baby take control this first weeks, he knows what need to be done to get his milk and it will make it much easier on you. Keep trying to get in contact with a leader, you got to remember that they're moms just like us and are very busy too, it's not that they don't want to help. This forum offer great advise and they're here to help you or give you the support you need.

Congratulations mommy and welcome to the forum!!

One thing that might help is Breast Compressions: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Ds nursed every hour during the day until he was 5 mo. It would have been more often if not for breast compressions.

Yes, your issues do seem normal. Those beginning weeks are the most challanging. I felt that by six weeks, that the BF relationship was great. My first child was a sleepy baby, and as you described she would not nurse long. Here is a link that gives info on how to stimulate your baby. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T024800.asp
    Also congratulations on having such a supportive husband.

HI! I found these suggestions on another thread, and thought they might help you......I know it's been tough these first few weeks, but things do get better - I promise!

Here are the tips. I hope a LLL gets in touch with you soon.....too bad no one is returning your calls.

It's very normal for baby to fall asleep during nursing sessions. If she falls asleep soon during the nursing session, try breast compressions to keep her awake:

1. Make a "C" with your hand and use it to support the breast with the thumb on the underside of the breast.

2. Any time she stops suckling, gently squeeze the breast. This will usually result in herstarting to suckle again.

3. When she starts to suckle again, let go. When she stops, gently squeeze again. Repeat, rotating your hand around your breast.

4. When the compression fails to stimulate suckling, burp her and offer the other side. If she's still not interested or stays asleep, then she's probably full enough.

You can do this night and day to encourage her to get a full feeding at the breast. If she's nice and full she should sleep a little longer too.

hi hun, i just want to say that i had problems with my DS when he was born and was only doing pumping for a while he is now 4 weeks old but i put him back to the breast and he and i are still learning some days are better than others and some days i have been on here and have wanted to quit but i havent and the woman on here have been very helpful, you might also try www.keelymom.com they also have great message boards, i just wanted to say that my son is like your baby he eats every hour and falls fast asleep when he eats then wakes again in 45 minutes to eat more, and it keeps going but i know that this is my last baby and the only one i have even tried to bf and i want to keep giving him the best and it is a learning process for both of us so just keep it up your doing a good job and baby will adjust soon.
    HTH

Yes, your baby seems normal.
    I *know* how frustrating it can be when it feels like the dear little one just wont get off my breast!!!
    but it does pass, and it does help to know that your baby is fine and normal and that youre giving him the absolute best!
    keep in mind that at this age (3-4 weeks) most babies have a growth spurt and they feed like maniacs to fuel it.