Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give me ideas to motivate my friend to carry on nursing her toddler

Default Give me ideas to motivate my friend to carry on nursing her toddler

My friend Sophie has a daughter of the same age as mine (19 months old). She's thinking of weaning because she's finding it harder to breastfeed a toddler when out and about.

From my experience, you can succeed in bf a toddler with:

1- a good bf position (sometimes Rachel is breastfeeding while sitting facing me which is even better
    2- a good breastfeeding top that won't expose your breast
    3- a good way to occupy this free hand (with a nursing necklace...)

This is a photo of how I do it:

http://www.bebecannelle.com/blogs/ho...u-stop-nursing

Another tips for my friend?

cheers

Default Re: Give me ideas to motivate my friend to carry on nursing her toddler

If she doesn't want to nurse when she's out, would her lo be okay with a sippy cup and snacks instead? There no reason you have to NIP with a toddler (unless of course your toddler thinks you do), but you can still keep nursing when at home. (DS wouldn't nurse when we were out from about 10 months until about 22 months.)

I've pretty much weaned my almost three year old from nursing in public but she still goes at it strong at home or the houses of sympathetic friends!
    I guess it's just the idea that she doesn't have to wean completely might help?

Actually, direct her to this site as well! I came here thinking I was ready to wean and looking for ideas to make it easier and frankly it's given me the strength to carry on!!!

THANKS!
    Last edited by tamarama; January 20th, 2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added something

I agree with the pp's. There's no reason she has to NIP. We never do, and we are out and about a lot. And I have no intentions of weaning any time soon.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

Wink Re: Give me ideas to motivate my friend to carry on nursing her toddler

Well, for Rachel, it's boobs or nothing! she's not happy with water or snacks when out and about. This morning at the park she wanted her warm breastmilk in that windy playground and nothing else!

But thanks for the suggestions.

I'll tell my friend to come here... she's French so I'll have a look to see if there are threads in French, I think I saw ones in Spanish....

Setting limits, like "we'll nurse when we get home".

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I don't NIP much anymore, unless I know the dd is really sleepy and is just going to melt down without her yum yums. . .generally I'll encourage a snack, or something else. .story, cuddle time, etc. Most of the time it works, when it doesn't, we nurse without apology.

That being said, is there a way your friend could try and organize her going out around her little one's desired nursing time?
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Although it may seem like a good solution now, I think that weaning won't make your friend's life any easier. Nursing is a terrific mothering tool- when your baby falls down or can't sleep, or is teething or sick, the breast is there to see her through the rough patch. Without it... I know moms find other ways of comforting their kids, but I have yet to see anything that works as quickly as nursing!

It sounds like your friend's life could be made easier by setting some boundaries. It's an important part of discipline to teach your child how to wait- not just for nursing but for anything that they desire but can't have immediately!

Or, in rough French:

Bien qu'il puisse sembler comme une bonne solution maintenant, je pense que le sevrage ne facilitera pas la vie de votre amie. Les soins sont un outil enfantant terrible quand votre bébé tombe vers le bas ou ne peut pas dormir, ou sont de démarrage ou malade, le sein est là pour la voir par la pièce rapportée rugueuse. Sans lui... Je connais autres mamans avez autres manières de soulager leurs gosses, mais moi ai voir encore tout ce qui fonctionne aussi rapidement que des soins !

Cela ressemble à de la vie de votre ami pourrait être facilité en plaçant quelques frontières. C'est une partie importante de discipline pour enseigner à votre enfant comment attendre pas simplement des soins mais pour tout ce qu'ils désirent mais ne peuvent pas avoir immédiatement !

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Or, in rough French:

Bien qu'il puisse sembler comme une bonne solution maintenant, je pense que le sevrage ne facilitera pas la vie de votre amie. Les soins sont un outil enfantant terrible quand votre bébé tombe vers le bas ou ne peut pas dormir, ou sont de démarrage ou malade, le sein est là pour la voir par la pièce rapportée rugueuse. Sans lui... Je connais autres mamans avez autres manières de soulager leurs gosses, mais moi ai voir encore tout ce qui fonctionne aussi rapidement que des soins !

Cela ressemble à de la vie de votre ami pourrait être facilité en plaçant quelques frontières. C'est une partie importante de discipline pour enseigner à votre enfant comment attendre pas simplement des soins mais pour tout ce qu'ils désirent mais ne peuvent pas avoir immédiatement !

~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Quote Originally Posted by brandila View Post
    Nah! I brought in a wringer. http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr