Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help needed at night with almost 5 month old

Default Help needed at night with almost 5 month old

Hi,

I am new to this site and just need some advice on what to do about the following....

My 5 month old baby boy is having a hard time going down at night for me since the beginning of this month. First off, he has never really slept through for more than 3 days in a row. The last time he gave me a full 8 hours of sleep was Christmas Eve. I nurse him every 3 1/2 hours and just recently his nursing times went from 40 mins to 6-7 minutes...guess he's more efficient?
    Anywho, we are having a really hard time getting him to stay asleep at night w/o waking up due to burps or gas. We try burping him for 10 mins and sometimes to no avail. We do give him gas drops which do not seem to work either...he sometimes is in pain with gas when he wakes up at night. Since Jan. 8th, Keegan has gotten up around 11:30pm, only 3 1/2 hours after his bedtime. Within that time frame though, he gets up roughly 3-6 more times sometimes due to gas other times we have no clue. I do not know if he is hungry but after the 4 hour mark from his last feed, I nurse him b/c that seems to be the only way to get him back to sleep. I am not sure if I am creating the habit of him getting up to eat at 11:30, but I have no idea what else to do b/c he just screams and screams! I never had this issue with my 2 1/2 year old who slepr through at 6 weeks. She never had any gas or burp issues either, so this is all new to me. Keegan used to sleep from 8pm to 2am but has not slept that long in a while. It seems like he is just all over the charts when it comes to bedtime.

During the day, Keegan does very well! His naps are great and he is still swaddled for naps and at night. We tried to not swaddle him but he would not have it. He does fight being swaddled sometimes but once he is wrapped up, he naps very well. Is this normal for a 5 month old to be swaddled? My 2 1/2 year old did not anything to do with swaddling after 12 weeks and took to it perfectly. Keegan is the total opposite.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated b/c we are so exhausted when it comes to bedtime...it takes a lot out of us.

Thanks,

Cathy

Default Re: Help needed at night with almost 5 month old

All I can say is that each baby is different. My 7 month old still wakes during the night to nurse about every 3 hours. We co-sleep, so it's not really an issue. And I am certain he'll be this way for many more months. he sleeps best when I am there, if not he wakes about every half hour.

Maybe your LO just wants to know you are there...?
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

My lo is pretty unpredictable at night too...sometimes she goes right down and sometimes she has total melt-downs. During those times I usually do swaddle her (she's 4 mo) so I don't think 5mo is too old to swaddle, especially if it works! Sorry about the gas issues Hopefully someone will have some good advice.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Why do you think it is gas? Have you considered teething as the problem? At 5 mths my son started to get a little more fussy, less sleeping etc... I noticed swollen gums ect... around 5 mths. I gave him tylenol for awhile and it helped but I did not like so much medicine. I was refered to the Hylands teething tablets and love them. My son (9mths old) does not sleep more than 4 hours at a time but he really never did. We are now co-sleeping because of his frequent night wakings. It is much easier to deal with when they are right there in you bed. But, if co-sleeping is not for you then try the teething tablets, it cant hurt.