Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: grunting and groaning while nursing?

Question grunting and groaning while nursing?

I'm just wondering why my 3 week old does this, it's not all the time but every once in a while he starts this grunting and groaning while he is nursing - like he is angry or something he also is flailing his arms around. He does keep his latch through the entire groaning episode ... does anyone know why he would be doing this????

Default Re: grunting and groaning while nursing?

I really dont know, but I have the same problem too, my baby turning 4 weeks tomorrow does exactly the same thing - actually while breastfeeding he often turnes red (like he is really angry) and I feel he wants to cut off my nipple! I would really appreciate some help..!

Sometimes this kind of behavior can indicate that your baby is frustrated about something...it could be a lot of different things. Grunting to me would indicate gas (try sitting baby up when he does this and burping him...he may poop!)

Let me tell you what happened to me. My baby started doing similar behavior...flailing arms, turning red, but she was also pulling/tugging at my nipple as well as turning head while still hanging onto the nipple. A LC consultant told me that was a "sure sign" she wasn't happy with my slow flow of milk. I started drinking tons more water and taking fenugreek seed pills (per her recommendation) and problem was solved for me. This is not to scare you b/c that really scared me when she told me that...but honestly feedings went so well after that I was really glad I had that information. I really think the water did the trick for me. But, like I said that behavior could also be baby upset with too fast a flow... it was the tugging on nipples that indicated a slow flow for me. I really hope that helps and let us know how things are going!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Gastro-colic reflex is developing read here:http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41

My DS is almost 8 weeks old and was having the same difficulty you are describing. He would want to nurse constantly (this was not a growth spurt he was trying to coat his esophogas), he would sometimes cry while nursing (because the milk is rolling up and down his esophogas), throw up a lot (some of it would look curdled), I would have difficulty laying him down (he would cry when layed on his back), and recently he stopped sleeping for hours at a time (up to 7 hours at one point because he is so uncomfortable). We took him to a doctor specializing in gastroenterology and found out that he has Reflux. There are 4 levels of medication...starting with Mylanta and progressing through to prescription meds...we are currently trying level two. The most frustrating part is that he cries a lot and I can't help him...its sooo hard to see your little one in pain and not be able to fix it right away. I dearly hope that this is not what your little one does not have this...but it is something to look into.
    Good Luck!!

My four week old will grunt and squirm occasionally, usually toward the end of a feeding, and not enough to pull away. No adverse effects that I can see. She's generally a pretty vocal baby, though!

Good luck!

My almost five week old does the same thing. Not at every feeding though. She also sometimes turns her head and digs it into my breast while still hanging onto my nipple. Someone posted earlier this meant for her a slow flow....im confused whether this is my problem because in the last month my milk usually comes out so fast that she sometimes gags. I have not reduced the frequency that i feed her any. Can your milk supply drop off for any other reason??