Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soy products and baby boys

Default Soy products and baby boys

Hi- a lactation consultant told me to avoid eating soy because of the unknown effects on baby boys- e.g. too much estrogen is produced. I know this is true for soy formula- they recommend avoiding that but has anyone else been told not to eat any soy products while breastfeeding because of the hormone issues for little boys?
    I like to drink soymilk..
    Thanks,
    Suzie

Default Re: Soy products and baby boys

Hi Suzie,

I don't know the answer to your question, but during a short period I was drinking a lot of soymilk while nursing. When I quit, I noticed a slight increase in milk supply. I believe the estrogen in the soy caused it.

I also remember reading that if a pregnant women consumes soy, her unborn son may have a birth defect (of the uretha).

Jennifer

I have heard that too much soy is linked to future fertility problems in males. But, I suspect it's a question of moderation and quantity. Think about it -- tofu is a staple in much of Asia, and that continent is not suffering from underpopulation!

I think one issue is that soy has become a sort of highly processed filler ingredient in much of our food -- plus there has been a huge marketing push to make soy sound like a miracle food, the more the better. So there is some cause for concern about what our boys are eating.

I think the advice to eat NO soy while breastfeeding is going overboard -- but that's just my humble and inexpert opinion, as I haven't studied this in depth.

--Rebecca

FWIW, I'm a long-time vegetarian and tofu is a common part of my diet - not every day, mind you, but maybe 2x per week. Probably about 10 oz of soy milk about 5 days per week. When I was pregnant and had hyperemsis for nearly the whole time, there were days when the only thing I could eat and keep down was a carnation instant breakfast made with soy milk.

I had a very healthy baby boy. No birth deffects.

My son is now 15 months old and thriving. At his check-up today he was in the 50th percentile on weight and 95% on height. He eats tofu about 3-4 times per week and loves it. His pediatrician is well aware of this and thrilled about it.

I think balance is the key to ANY food plan. A wide variety of healthy foods - proteins, carbs, fruits, veggies, grains - is just that, healthy. If you were to eat JUST any one of those or to eat predominantly any one of those, you'd wind up with problems. Just my $0.02.
    Jsmom

Hey there

i have never heard this before. But if anybody has any feedback. My 2 1/2 year old boy only drinks soy products no dairy, as he get constipated. Should i be worried or change his diet. If that is the case i don't know what we will do.

I was just coming online to post a question about soymilk and found this thread. I heard last week from a friend the same argument about soymilk containing too much estrogen for boys. I drink about a cup and a half of soymilk a day with my oatmeal for breakast. I wonder if that's too much? I'm drinking Silk Enhanced soymilk because it has flax seed oil in it for Omega-3s, but I wonder if I should cut back. I read that soy-based forumula can cause baby girls to develop breastbuds, so that worries me a bit about its effects on boys (I have a very healthy exclusively breastfed six-month old boy). Should I switch to regular milk with my oatmeal?

Annie

Just to clarify- the LC said that scientists are concerned about soy FORMULA'a effects on baby boys- they aren't sure what large doses of estrogen will do to boys right now or when they hit puberty when their male hormones need to work. And the LC could not answer my questions about the amount of soy/estrogen found in breastmilk from the mother ingesting it but she cautioned against eating it- but I think quakermomma hit it right on when she said eat a balanced diet- don't overload on anyone thing...I did go ahead and switch to rice milk just to reassure myself- but that's me.....I do know that a large dose of estrogen is released when we eat soy products- I need to find the study but I read it.
    Be Well,
    Suzie

No- it was jsmom that said be balanced---sorry

Heck, I don't mind being confused with Rebecca/quakerm0mma anyday! I aspire to her level of intelligence and tact!!

Another thought I had on this topic has to do with the hormones that are ingested from animal products in general! I've read that so much of the trend of girls hitting puberty earlier and earlier has to do with the synthetic hormones that they are getting via eating meat and dairy products from animals that are fed hormones to increase milk production and muscle mass (beef). Probably all this in combination with other factors could be part of the issue? I would hate to see anyone think that animal products are the 'answer' to avoid plant-based estrogens found in soy products... that would probably be counter-productive!

But thank you for the clarification that the LC was concerned about soy formula!

best wishes, Jsmom

U'r post is very good.I never knew cows are treated like this.I read a lot about cow protein and girls hitting puberty and really was shocked to see pictures of cow treated with hormones.Does that mean we should never give/drink cow's milk ?I read articles where they say to completely avoid cows milk.