Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing over a year

Default Nursing over a year

My lo turned one last weekend and I was wondering how to go about introducing other liquids. He will only take water from a sippy cup and never had a bottle. I still nurse him 4 times a day. Do I need to offer him whole milk while I'm still BF or is water okay. I want him to use his sippy cup more often so he gets used to it. He does love to drink from it.
    Thanks

Default Re: Nursing over a year

My lo nursed for 15 months, at which point she weaned herself.

I was told by my pediatrician to introduce whole milk at 9 months old.
    She also had never taken bottle, and only sippy cut.

I introduced her to whole mild when she was 12 months old.

Default Re: Nursing over a year

nursing and water from a sippy are all my LO got! As long as they're still nursing at least a couple of times a day, I wouldn't worry about cows milk. My LO did enjoy yogurt and cheese as well at that age, but didn't start drinking milk on a regular basis until he was almost 2 (and still doesn't drink that much -- he's a yogurt man!!) Oh - and if it makes you feel better, even my ped. said not to worry about him drinking whole milk. My milk dried up when he was about 22 months old, and since he has other "good" fats in his diet, what little milk he gets now is lowfat (and so is his yogurt).

As long as he enjoys the water from the cup, just keep that available during the day (meals, snack time, etc). They don't really need any other liquids when they're nursing!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing