Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping to increase supply

Default pumping to increase supply

Hi all,

I'm new here. My baby is 5+ wks old and I'm bfding him exclusively. Has seen the paedi twice, and weight gain is ok for baby. At wk 4+, he weighed around 4.7kg.

Had some problems earlier - baby pulling at nipple as if not getting enough milk and had to supplement a few times , blocked ducts, frequent feedings (baby wakes up every hourly to feed!), baby is a light sleeper, etc.

I've seen a local LC and have cleared up most of the blocked ducts - still trying to clear another that's very persistent

After seeing the LC, I didn't have to resort to supplements anymore

I'd like to know if I want to increase my milk supply, must I pump immediately after each feed? I was told to pump for 10 minutes immediately after each feed. Most of the time I have to rock or pat my baby to sleep after each feed, I'm not able to pump until at least half an hour later. Sometimes, no chance at all to pump, as baby will not sleep, and the next feeding comes along soon after

Appreciate your advice, thanks.

Default Re: pumping to increase supply

Well, I think "immediately" can be defined as "as soon as possible" in this case. Take care of your baby's needs first, of course!

If you no longer need to give supplemental feeds, then perhaps your milk supply is doing just fine. It sounds from your description as though things are just settling down after a rough start; I would hate to see you stress yourself unnecessarily about pumping just now.

--Rebecca

I agree with the previous post. One of the biggest enemies of successful nursing is stress - it decreases the milk supply, which causes more stress, and the cycle continues.....

If you are concerned about increasing your milk supply, I used an herbal tea supplement that worked quickly for me with my son - for whom I nenver seemes to have enough milk at first. Check in your local grocery store - the tea aisle - and you may find it there. Otherwise, when you have an opportunity to pump take the opportunity - have a glass of ice water handy, and zone out. I've found meditating and ensuring good hydration are important components to my success nursing. My daughter nursed for 10 months, self weaned and I pumped for 2 more months; my son is 8 months and doing well.

Good luck!

thks Quakermomma & OTMom!
    OTMom, wat is the name of the herbal tea you mentioned?
    Thks!

I just stopped pumping to increase my supply and am glad to say it worked (too well, actually, because now I'm dealing with an oversupply again). Anyway, what worked for me was to put DD in her swing or bouncy seat next to me while I pumped. Good luck

I've had luck with Mother's Milk--Traditional Medicinals. I drink it three times a day (right now in fact).

I bought a tea to increase supply (similar to Mother's Milk, but different brand), and it's so gross that I haven't been able to drink it. It says to drink it every two hours to increase supply, but there's no way. I couldn't even choke down one cup, so I don't really know how to do it... I don't mean to be a baby about it, but it's just disgusting. I'm taking fenugreek and blessed thistle, so I'm hoping that'll be enough to increase my supply. Does anyone know of a tea that actually tastes somewhat decent? I haven't been pumping to increase my supply, because it just hurts so bad. I tried using nipple shields while pumping to decrease the pain, but I don't know if I can do that or not. I didn't really get much, but the only time I get anything when I pump is if my breasts are really, really hard. Can I use the nipple shields while pumping and still increase my supply?