Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i feel like my suppy is dropping - how can i nourish my 7 month old?

Default i feel like my suppy is dropping - how can i nourish my 7 month old?

I don't know how and why it happened. After the holidays, my breast softened and I don't pump as much as I used to. 2 nights ago, DS diaper output was not was heavy, it was infact light - like 4 tblsps for the entire night

I did get sick last weekend but nothing really bad, sore throat and sore muscles, no fever. He does have an ear infection all throughout the holiday and we are still treating it with antibiotic.

I am seriously considering Reglan or Domp. I am so concerned about my son. How can he get milk when I don't have or limited supply? He does not take the bottle and has not yet learned to use a sippy cup (would sip then spit out the contents ).

I really am so sad.

Do you have suggestions on how to increase my milk again? I already increased my fenugreek to 5/3x a day. I am eating oatmeal also. thank you.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: i feel like my suppy is dropping - how can i nourish my 7 month old?

Nurse as much as possible, and trust your baby and your body. It's normal to have a dip in supply after a bout of illness, or when your baby is sick and maybe not eating well, when you are about to get your period, or when you are stressed. So long as you allow him unlimited access to the breast, he will be able to rebuild your supply by feeding frequently. You may want to encourage him to nurse more often if he seems disinterested- which can happen easily if he's battling an ear infection. Just cuddle him on your bare chest and see if he will latch on. Pumping after nursing can also help to bring your supply up.

If you are nursing exclusively- no bottles, no sippy cups- I really doubt that you need to worry about your supply. Are you pumping for a return to work? If not, and your baby doesn't take a bottle, you may not need to pump at all. Just trust your baby to get his needs met.

Oh- and at 7 months, if your baby is no longer nursing at night or is nursing less at night, it is quite possible for him to go all night with a dry diaper. His bladder is growing, and it can hold more, which means that he may pee less often. Just watch his overall diaper output. If he's having enough during the course of the entire day, don't worry about him not wetting a diaper during a certain time period.

Default Re: i feel like my suppy is dropping - how can i nourish my 7 month old?

[QUOTE=cecilia;414062]I don't know how and why it happened. After the holidays, my breast softened. QUOTE]

The softening of your breast does not necessarily mean that your supply is low here is a article for "My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased?" http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html HTH . Oh, and sorry for the editing.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Has your period returned? I have found that I get a dip in supply 3-4 days before my flow starts. It always jumps back up though, peaking around ovulation.

: