Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!! Dont want to give 7month old formula

Default HELP!! Dont want to give 7month old formula

Hi! I have a 7 month old son and lately we have been having some issues and I want to breastfeed him till he is at least one. At least one time a day (usually at night) he will suck for a min or so then scream, so I switch him to the other side (this happens every min) and will continue for sometimes a half hour or so until I go make a formula bottle ( when I try to pump I usually get a few drips) and he chugs its right down (4-5 oz) and goes to sleep.
    I was wondering if I could give him a 4 oz bottle of rice milk or something else unstead of formula when he does this. I have tried taking "mothers milk" but it doesn't help!
    It gets so frustrating!! Please help!!!

Default Re: HELP!! Dont want to give 7month old formula

How about feeding him the formula until he is almost full then offering the breast as the paci at the end. That way he is full and happy but may take the breast for comfort. Hopefully this will be a positive breast association for him. keep trying though, from my short mommy experience, they go thru stages. Once you always keep the breast available, they seem to always find their way back.

do you know of anything other than formula that i can give him...it's only once a day and maybe 4 oz. could i give him rice milk?

I would avoid giving anything other than breastmilk or formula at that age, since they need the nutrition. Is baby on solids yet? Perhaps you can try to encourage him to eat more in the evenings in lieu of giving a bottle? It's normal for supply to be lower in the evenings... if he won't nurse enough to get your supply up then you should try "power pumping" (pump 10 min, 10 min break, pump 10 min) and/or taking fenugreek. Mother's milk tea contains the herbs in such low amounts you'd have to drink it like 6+ times a day to get the recommended amounts.

thanks so much! I will try all of that. yes, he had been on solids since a little before 4 months. He now eats 3 times a day and I have tried extra food at night, but that doesn't work. THANKS AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksons Mom View Post
    thanks so much! I will try all of that. yes, he had been on solids since a little before 4 months. He now eats 3 times a day and I have tried extra food at night, but that doesn't work. THANKS AGAIN!
    I have a 7mo old too and for some reasons us die hard breastfeeding mommies feel like formula is poisen though it really is the best next to our liquid gold!!!

Also: I live by fenugreek I take 7 capsules 4 times a day (enough to smell like maple syrup)!
    Last edited by Mikenzi's Mama; January 20th, 2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: forgot the fenugreek part

About how many times in 24 hours does your baby nurse? How long has he been eating three solid meals per day?

As for the rice milk, I wouldn't recommend it as a supplement for an infant. It's not nutrient dense like breastmilk or formula.

thanks again!! another thing that i think is wrong is that i never leak , i never have to even wear nursing pads!

Leaking (or not) is not a good indicator of milk production. In fact, some mothers never leak and have abundant supplies (I'm one of them!).