Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does anyone have any advice on breastfeeding an older infant

Default Does anyone have any advice on breastfeeding an older infant

My eight month old baby is exclusively breastfeed (no formula ever. When she was about six mos., I began incorporating solids into her diet (which she absolutely LOVES). However, it seems like she wants to breastfeed less and less. is this normal? I guess maybe it's the natural transition from milk to solids, but I can't help being concerned. I plan on breastfeeding until she's well over a year old (I'm hoping she'll simply wean herself when she's ready)--,but I don't want her to wean herself right now (8 mos. seems too young)! At any rate, she's breastfeeding fewer times per day and seems to take less milk as she frequently will feed from one side only and refuse the other side. I always feed her milk before her solids (per dr's recommendation). when I worked yesterday, her grandmother said she took only 2 oz. Of milk the entire day and refused to take any more (,although she ate a lot of solids). Is this normal and what can I do to prolong breastfeeding?
    Last edited by maria4; January 19th, 2008 at 10:00 PM.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Does anyone have any advice on breastfeeding an older infant

how much solids are you giving and how (spoon or self feeding?)

My DS is nearly 10 months old and still nurses as much as he did before introducing solids, but we are doing BLW/BLS so he feeds himself. He is only just now starting to eat more solids.

I have heard other mums who are doing purees and spoon feeding that LO reduces BF more. If you are spooning, could you switch to BLS?

as usual (so sorry for shortness of reply!)

How much are you doing in solids per day? I think a small dip is normal but they should get the majority of calories from breastmilk - is she crawling? Once Luca learned to crawl we had awhile there where he was not interested in nursing because he wanted to be off exploring. In his high chair he could feed himself and still be entertained. It passed pretty quickly though....

Your baby definitely will not wean herself at 8 months. She is probably just distracted and more interested in the world around her.

Could it be possible that she didn't take very much BM from grandma because it wasn't you nursing her? BF babies tend to take less from a bottle when they are away from mom.

It is natural from BFing to decrease when solids are introduced, but you want to make sure that she is still BFing enough. Don't let solids take the place of BFing. That's great that you nurse before giving solids.

For the past few months I've noticed that DS could probably go all day without nursing unless he's upset, tired, etc (he's 11 months now), so I make him nurse if it's been about 3.5-4 hours. You may need to find a quiet room to nurse-that helps DS. He becomes easily distracted.

I've noticed that DS has recently started to show more interest in BFing again. I think once they start to notice the world around them, move around, and become more independent, that's all more interesting for them. He seems to be getting over that (used to it), and wants to nurse more.

Just keep offering the breast-especially if it's been about 3-4 hours. Keep nursing before solids, and if she seems to be nursing less and eating more solids, decrease the solid intake a little.

I'm sure it will be fine!

It is common for a baby to refuse a bottle or anything besides mama. Is this child care situation new? That can also cause some small hiccups in the road. Do you feel like baby wants to nurse more often at night now? i used to sneak in some extra "dream-feeds" to make up for the distractable baby syndrome during the day. The world is a happening place right now, reduced daytime feeding is a common occurance. It doesn't mean weaning, only schedule change.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 19th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.

I looked but could not find meaning for BLS or BLW
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

baby led solids, baby led weaning

If you go to the solids board, there's a lot about BLW/BLS on there. Basically it means that you do not offer your baby pureed food from a spoon. You give them "regular" food and let them feed themselves/experiment.

Here's a website that lots of moms refer to...
    http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/

It gives a nice summary of BLW. I gave my DS very few purees, and did more of a BLW approach. I liked it, and I will do it even more so with #2.