Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new problems at 10 wks

Default new problems at 10 wks

bf is going well for the most part but i need some help w/ a few issues that have suddenly come up .. my breast suddenly don't feel as full as they did .. i have not changed my diet and have tried to feed every two hours to try to get it back up but it doesn't seem to be working.. any suggestions.. also lately my baby thinks its play time when trying to feed .. if its a feeding time during the day he acts hungry and then gets to the breast and laughs and coos which is sooo cute but very frustrating as well sometimes in the evening we have the exact opposite where he acts like he's starving but i put him to the breast and he refuses it pushing away and never latching on ..

Default Re: new problems at 10 wks

All very normal. Right about 3 months many moms find that they are no longer leaking as much. Your body usually has figured out how much your baby needs and how much you need to make. As long as your baby seems satisfied, is growing well, and has good output than your supply should be fine. Also, now at almost 3 months babies are no longer these little things that just eat, sleep and poop. You are right there are now very aware of things around them and of course the best thing of all, mommy. If you find that she is very distracted you can try not to make eye contact with her, nurse in a dark room, etc... The distraction will come and go over the course of your bfing relationship. Just take this as a wonderful sign of her development, right on target!

I just want to echo what the PP said--sounds very normal. Its very comforting in the early weeks/months when breasts feel very full before a feeding and then lighter afterward so that we can tell baby ate something. But it is normal for this fullness to go away after a few months. Your body has just adjusted to the normal nursing patterns of your baby. Keep an eye on diaper output, but if that's fine then he's still getting all he needs. My DS also became very distractable around that age. He was most likely to nurse well just when he woke up (either from a nap or during the night). I would race to get him as soon as he made any stir from sleeping and immediately put him to the breast. Other than that, a quiet, dark room can help as suggested above.

Just to add to the "it's normal" idea here , at about 3 months, your body has a natural drop - small drop, not to worry - in prolactin levels. That will account for some of your "breasts less fulll" feeling. It's totally normal and well documented pattern for nursing moms! good luck!
    Jsmom

thanx everyone for your help its always reassuring to hear it from otherbfing moms

I think we're all happy to offer any collective experience we have! Glad you have found some reassurance....and now that you can relax a bit, watch for your milk to maybe increase just a little bit....
    take good care....keep hydrated....good luck!
    Jsmom

My DS is 9 1/2 wks, and I was just about to write the same exact post as Andrea!! So I'm glad she did and you all answered. You know I figured everything was okay, but my mind just wanders and wanders down the "I'm not making enough milk path" Thanks for the reassurance

Ditto the PPs. It's all totally normal, and it throws everyone for a loop when it happens.

I remember going to a drop-in clinic at my prenatal yoga studio to see an LC at about 3 months, and did the whole weighing before and after feeding thing, and I was amazed to see that DS got about 2 ounces in just 5 minutes of popping on and off the breast (what I would have classified as a totally unsuccessful feed).

Hi! I'm glad you wrote this post, because I had the same "problem" and wondered if it were normal. It is adorable when my son looks up at me while he's eating, and decides to smile or coo! He is almost 3 months old (12 weeks), and getting easier and easier to make smile! I love this age!

I've been noticing the same thing!! My daughter is almost 10 weeks old. I'm so glad to know she is still getting food!!