Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Michelin Baby! (1 month appointment)

Default Michelin Baby! (1 month appointment)

Our FP Dr called Chance a Michelin baby at his one month appointment yesterday. He looks just like the babies in tires in the old Michelin tire commercials. Rolls down his arms and legs, rolls on his toes and fingers, dimples at the base of every toe and finger, two rolls in his neck, a double chin, and when I sit him up, he has about half a dozen wrinkles down his belly. The little boob monster is still gaining weight at the rate of a pound a week. He's up to 12.8 pounds now, exactly four pounds above his birth weight, at 28 days.

Chance is definitely awake more but he hasn't stopped eating as frequently as possible. When he's awake, he usually nurses about ten-fifteen minutes out of every hour. He often sleeps for thirty or forty minutes in between nursing sessions. But when he actually sleeps, he usually sleeps for three hours at a time. At night, he puts in a four hour stretch and then a couple two hour "naps" before getting up for the morning.

The thing that freaks me out is how quickly he nurses. The baby never nurses longer than fifteen minutes, with a significant amount of comfort nursing tacked onto the end of it. Obviously he's gaining weight well, he produces more than the minimum number of diapers, and my supply is more than keeping up with him so I'm not worried but it freaks me out that he can sleep four hours, nurse for ten minutes, and be full and satisfied enough to fall asleep again.

He has developed the charming habit of using a boob for a pillow when he's done nursing. He bangs his head a few times on the side he's just finished nursing from, wiggles his body into my arms, sighs, and drifts off to sleep. There hasn't been a day that I dreaded nursing him but habits like this one just make me enjoy it more.

Default Re: Michelin Baby! (1 month appointment)

He sounds great! You must be proud. I think some babies nurse faster and more efficient than others. I wouldn't worry.

You must be happy to have such a good experience with something that many women struggle with. Good for you!

<< You must be happy to have such a good experience with something that many women struggle with. Good for you! >>

I feel a little guilty sometimes posting such happy, cheerful updates in this section because, with the exception of blisters that briefly appeared and quickly disappeared the first weekend with Chance, we have had NO problems at all. But I came here a lot as a lurker before Chance was born and my take away impression was that *everyone* has problems at some point. If there's anyone like me lurking now, I want them to realize breastfeeding may be easy, it may be tough, but it's always worth it (the other take away impression I got from moms who struggled a ton but persevered :-).

Truthfully, emotionally it's been harder than the technical side of breastfeeding. Knowledge has helped me understand what's going on and prevents total breakdowns but I've cried at 3 in the morning plenty of times because my husband isn't home to help burp a stubborn newborn who refuses to burp for me but clearly has an unhappy tummy. Or a couple days ago when the sum total of my accomplishments for the day were putting on sweatpants, taking a shower, and putting dinner in the oven. It was one of those days Chance just decided to eat, burp, poop, nap (no more than 20 min and only if being held) and repeat the cycle all over again. It was a VERY long day and by the end of it none of us were in a very good mood. Fortunately, like all things, days like that do end!

~~ Meri

You bring up a good point...a mom-to-be would probably be freaked out reading through these posts I really concerned and wanted breastfeeding to go well b/c I knew a couple women that had real troubles. It's been relatively easy for me and I think that came from being prepared (reading through The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding at least twice) and this forum has helped a lot as well. Your baby sounds like a cutie...pinch a cheek for me
    Last edited by JeannieBean; January 19th, 2008 at 11:59 PM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

by the way, that's not to say that even prepared women don't have problems with BF...I forgot to knock on wood!!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    by the way, that's not to say that even prepared women don't have problems with BF...I forgot to knock on wood!!!
    Yeah . . . . I keep expecting thrush, clogged ducts, or mastitis to appear. It's like things have been TOO easy until now. In fact, I'm doing a diaper diary today because late last night realized I've been going through fewer diapers the past few days and got myself all worked up and worried about that.

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.