Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting scared

Default getting scared

ok so for about 2 days now i have had a "knot" feeling in my left breast...it feels tight and solid....it is above my areola, with no red marks and all....i have been pumping, and her eating..to tried to get rid of it....i have tried hot showers and then pumping, but it is not going away...DD is almost 10 weeks old..i have medela PIS double pump, and she eats, about every 2 hours....it doesnt really hurt..i have no fever...so i dont think it is sooo bad..just dont know what it is, or how to get rid of it..any advice??/ thanks

Default Re: getting scared

Sounds like a plugged duct to me. Here are some things that can help:

-Nurse on the affected breast first. Babies usually suck more strongly at the beginning of a feed.
    -Moist heat. Try immersing the affected breast in a warm bath, and feeding in the bath if possible. Warm washcloths can also help.
    -Massage. Rub the area in front of and behind the plug.
    -Nurse with baby's chin pointing towards the plug. Babies usually generate the strongest suction in the direction their chins are pointing.
    -Dangle. Position yourself in an all-fours position, with your breast dangling into your baby's mouth. Gravity may assist your baby in drawing out the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    -Nurse with baby's chin pointing towards the plug. Babies usually generate the strongest suction in the direction their chins are pointing.
    Everything i would have suggested.
    A baby's lower jaw moves as it massages out milk, so pointing the chin at the knot will let baby reallllly work on the blockage for you. Stay on top of it mama!

Relax too!

I have a round knot in my left breast, halfway between the armpit and areola. I had it looked at because it wouldn't go away and actually grew (my breast bends at like a 30 angle there).

I think they said it was a lactating adenoma or something. Basically non-cancerous growth that occurs in nursing women. The growing part was that it had blocked thing so bad I was getting fluid build up behind it. So if it's not a clog or you can't get it free, I'd have it looked at just to be safe, as it could be that.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.