Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hives, familiar to anyone?

Default Hives, familiar to anyone?

I noticed a few hives on my daughter this evening when I was giving her a bath. Does anyone have any experience with hives and their infants? They don't look serious, she's not uncomfortable or scratching them and there are only about five on her whole body. I don't think it's anything too serious so far. I'll be monitoring them closely though.

She's 9 months old and she hasn't had anything new this week, in terms of foods or lotions or soaps.
    I, however, have been eating these chips that have flaxseeds on them all week. So, I'm wondering if her reaction could be to that? Could a reaction like hives really be from something I ate. I've heard that babies can react to foods you eat while nursing, but I always just thought gas or something like that. I'll call my doctor for certain, but I was just curious to hear what you other moms out there may have experienced as well.

Default Re: Hives, familiar to anyone?

Usually hives aren't an "a few" thing. Usually they break out completely in them and they come in like bumps and then spread. They look horrible but don't seem to hurt. But you have to go to the doctor and get Benadryl. If it's "a few" perhaps it's bug bites or something else?

Way too lazy for formula

My son just had a full outbreak of these tiny bumps all over his back. I have done some research online and it might be chickenpox even though he had his chicken pox vaccine at his 12 month appt. He is now 13 months. We are going to the doctor tomorrow.

Our LO has a rash on his arms and shoulder. We brought him to the ped and he thought it could be eczema. I'm thinking it's aggravated by the dry air as well. It did just start out as a few bumps/dry scaly patches. I'm not sure what your LO's rash looks like, but could it be eczema? I guess eczema can be an indication of something in your diet that your baby might not tolerate, but who knows. I might start cutting out foods if my LO's gets any worse, right now it still doesn't look too bad, but we started bathing him a lot less often to see if that helps and putting a humidifier in the room at night also.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

HIVES can be just a few or even one! my ds has had them several times. per his allergist they can be caused by -food allergies to what HE is eatting, or what YOU are eatting while nursing him, a virus which USUALLY happens before a fever or cold symptoms, topical allergies- new laundry soap, bath soap,etc., also a delayed reaction to recent antibiotics. we use benedryl to control them and they can last a few days to several weeks! some times they itch sometimes they don't all i know is they get worse with heat so keep her in cotton clothes and light bedding. in a RARE occurance they can cause ANAPHALACTIC problems, so watch for trouble breathing, excessive drooling, coughing, etc. good luck and keep us posted!