Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to start on?

Default What to start on?

People say that you are suppose to start one cereal first but I know that rice cereal can make babies constipated. My baby doesn't poop good now and she is only breastfed. I guess I was wondering if I could start on veges instead and what was best to start on for her sensitive tummy?

Default Re: What to start on?

What do you mean by doesn't poop good? Infrequent? Hard or soft? How often? Solids yet?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    What do you mean by doesn't poop good? Infrequent? Hard or soft? How often? Solids yet?
    no solids yet, and she poops ever 3 to 4 days.

Every 3-4 days for a BF baby could be normal. Every baby is different. According to Touchpoints Birth To Three, great book by the way, bf babies can go up to one poop every 8 days. My son ususally has 1-2 a day, but at least once a week he goes a day or two without a poop.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

I heard the same thing from my SIL about the rice cereal, so I started little one on banana first, then pear a week later, then cooked apple a week after that, then we took a week break introducing new food (lazy mommy), then we tried cooked carrot, and just this week we tried potato.
    as long as we can, as often as we can

Mama to DS born June 2007

I think you are wise to resist the cereal recommendation. It really makes no sense to me. Pretty much every fibrous food can cause constipation, and having been through over a year of it with my LO, I would try to avoid at all costs if possible. Avocadoes are a very popular first food choice, and it makes sense to me (although I haven't been able to get DD to eat them yet ). The more I read it seems that meat has historically been the first food introduced, with egg yolks a close second. My reasoning for these foods would be that they are high in fat, which is sooo important to LOs, as is the natural iron content. I personally think fat and protein should be the emphasis, and carbs should come last. Others may disagree, I'm just throwing it out there. The point being, it is up to you to decide, not the ped or MIL or anyone else. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

i agree in many ways. i started avocado as a first food.

#-4 days is fine in a bf baby, there is just less waste as their digestive system matures. We've gone 5 days, dj's mom went, like 7 days or something.

I don't know why people think that cereal is the best first food. there are so many other foods that have better nutritional substance. My lo start on Banannas. Now he eat almost whatever! Just take it slow and don't start too many things at once... Notice how he/she responds to the foods
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I The more I read it seems that meat has historically been the first food introduced, with egg yolks a close second.

i thought eggs (along with citrus, peanut butter, etc.) are things you are supposed to avoid until after 1 year. I think I read that on here or Kellysmom?!?!?!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post
    i thought eggs (along with citrus, peanut butter, etc.) are things you are supposed to avoid until after 1 year. I think I read that on here or Kellysmom?!?!?!
    I think it is just the egg yolk not the whites. Not sure though, I should do some research.