Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What happens where they turn one?

Default What happens where they turn one?

I feel silly for asking this, but what the heck happens when they turn one? I mean...I always hear that when they turn one they can eat whatever "we" eat. My 10 month old only eats pureed foods (stage 2 or 3) and maybe a teething biscuit or something like that as a finger food. How is he going to just magically be able to eat everything I eat over night? Does that mean he is supposed to be able to eat it at the same texture as I do too? Does that mean that I don't have to do any kind of 4 day wait rule for trying new foods? I'm confused.

Default Re: What happens where they turn one?

Gage is P-I-C-K-Y whenit comes to food. purees we can get away with more, but as for solids, well his "meals" are more like "tastes" a few bites of this, someof that. he still nurses 3x a day (or more if he is up all stinkin night) and if I am not comfortable with what he ahas eaten then the purees come out...i kinda go my ear.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Nothing magically happens when they turn one. I think lots of people use the 1 year mark because by that point usually baby's digestive system is developed enough to be able to handle things like eggs and cow's milk (though they can still be allergic to those things).

I've not ever actually heard anyone say you should wait until 1 year to give table foods. Lots of people never give purees, they just go straight to table foods. It's an approach called baby-led solids or sometimes baby-led weaning. There are a few good threads on here about how to do it or hopefully someone will come along and give you a good link.

We switched to baby-led solids after a few weeks of purees, so Nora was on only breastmilk and table foods from about 6.5 mos on. I stopped doing the 4 day rule about the same time, but there is no history of allergies in our family at all so I wasn't really concerned about it too much. I just watched closely for a reaction when I introduced something new, especially common allergens. If allergies is something you are concerned about, keep doing it the 4 day thing as long as you feel it is safer.

I would say that at 10 months your baby would probably do just fine with table and finger foods. Have you tried cheerios or bananas or anything like that?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    I feel silly for asking this, but what the heck happens when they turn one? I mean...I always hear that when they turn one they can eat whatever "we" eat. My 10 month old only eats pureed foods (stage 2 or 3) and maybe a teething biscuit or something like that as a finger food. How is he going to just magically be able to eat everything I eat over night? Does that mean he is supposed to be able to eat it at the same texture as I do too? Does that mean that I don't have to do any kind of 4 day wait rule for trying new foods? I'm confused.
    I'm glad you asked this. My son is almost 8 months old. He sucks his thumb after each and every bite to swallow the purees (which I make and are just about as thin as the store-bought ones) and doesn't seem to have lost the tongue thrust reflex yet. And he gags if the purees are too thick, especially avocados. I have been wondering when he'll get to the small chunks of food, table food, or even Cheerios, if ever!

I bought his high chair today and am looking more to start child-led solids- kind of a do-over, I suppose. We'll see!

BTW, there are no silly questions.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    He sucks his thumb after each and every bite to swallow the purees (which I make and are just about as thin as the store-bought ones) and doesn't seem to have lost the tongue thrust reflex yet. And he gags if the purees are too thick, especially avocados.
    Sounds like my son exactly. I can't imagine him eating the foods that I eat. I'm also worried that when he tries to eat finger foods that he won't actually eat enough for it to matterl. When I give him a teething biscuit..I don't think he actually eats any of it...just sucks on it and the rest just crumbles or falls in his lap.

Rachel wasn't very interested in solids before she turned one. I'm happy about it as it gave her digestive system time to mature.
    But when she strated, after a couple of months of giving the usual finger foods (crrot, sticks, celery, cucumber...) we decided to give her what wwe were eating. She's basically eating from our plate most of the time. I don't use salt so that's fine.
    She has only the eight front teeth but she manages to eat well and crushes rice cakes with her gums for example. If she cannot crush what she's eating, she'll put it out of her mouth.
    Anyway I'm not worried about her nutrition or her being picky as she's still breastfed.
    Good luck