Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Default Coffee

If my daughter is sensitive to me drinking coffe, how long would it take of me giving it up to see a difference?

Default Re: Coffee

Here's some info that might help:
    Caffeine is absorbed through the stomach and small intestine into the bloodstream. The amount of caffeine in the blood reaching the brain determines the severity of its effects on the body. Caffeine is metabolized by the liver and eventually its metabolites are excreted in urine, although caffeine can also be secreted in saliva, semen, and breast milk. Caffeine will continue to have an effect on the body as long as it remains in the blood. **The time required for the body to eliminate one-half of the total amount of caffeine consumed this varies from several hours to several days.** Several factors can lengthen caffeine's half-life, such as some medications, liver diseases, pregnancy. The half-life (i.e., the time it takes for half of the amount ingested to leave thebody) of caffeine in a pregnant women is 18-20 hours; the half-life in women taking oral contraceptives is up to 13 hours.

I'd say you should see a difference within 2-3 days, to be sure. Obviously, if you pumped any milk during that time and DD is getting that in bottles, take that into account (sorry; don't mean to mention the obvious...)

My DS was super-sensitive to my caffeine intake when he was a newborn and infant. After 1/4 cup of coffee when DS was about 10 weeks old, he was awake and bonkers for 18 straight hours. DH made me promise NO MORE!!! I've just recently tried (DS 15 mo) the occasional can of diet coke in the afternoons (while at work; pumping) and I can still see the impact on DS's sleeping, so back to no more caffeine. It's going on two years since my last whole cup of real coffee.....
    Jsmom

Even more info - more that you would likely want to read! - can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

just fyi...........jsmom

My dd was sensitive to caffeine until she was about 5 months old. I guess she could have gotten over it before that but that's when I reintroduced 1 cup of coffee in the morning before work, and she seems to have tolerated it fine. The above info is good. In addition, I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that the reason it affects some infants is because they can't metabolize it well and so it builds up in their bodies. So even though it may be out of your milk, it may take some time for it to fully metabolize out of baby's body. I think it took up to 10 days for me to see the results in dd.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Very good point.... I know I've mentioned that before, the last time this came up, but PP is correct. Babies in utero and newborns and infants do not have the enzymes to break down caffeine. I'm not sure at what age they actually start expressing this enzyme, but until they do, it kind of circulates and circulates through the system until it is more generically broken down via metabolism....
    thanks for reminding of that!
    Jsmom

Oh crap. I'm a BIG coffee drinker, but didn't have any while pregnant. I started with 1 cup a day when she was born, but recently I've gone up to 4 cups (or sometimes more ). I figured her lack of sleep during the day was from growth spurts and such, till my husband pointed out that my "one" cup of coffee comes in a mug the size of a small soup bowl.

So yeah, I've stopped drinking my java. Cold turkey. I'm miserable, but I'll give it a shot to see if it's the caffeine.

I do have pumped milk in the freezer, but it's more for backup, so I'm hoping a couple of ounces here and there won't bother her.

FWIW, just about every doc I know will tell you that 1 cup (or 2, even) won't make any difference and you won't see the effects in your baby. For some people, that is what they actually observe. For others - like me and DS - the effects are really tangible! Are you, in general, sensitive to the effects of meds that make you drowsy, for example? If not, you may not be a sensitive type to these kinds of things - and your baby might not either.

If I were you, I'd probably NOT go cold turkey. If your body is really used to the caffeine, it will hurt alot to do that!! (DH is SOOOOOOOO caffeine addicted....been there!) And, if your baby has gotten somewhat used to having a jolt or two of the java juice, DD may feel some crankiness at the cold-turkey loss. Maybe try cutting back to 2 cups (and I mean cups, not soup-bowls! ) of the stuff for a week or so and see if things settle out. This more than likely doesn't need to be an all-or-nothing kind of situation. And goodness knows, an unhappy and cruddy feeling momma is not a good thing for DD either!
    hang in there......go have a cuppa.
    -Jsmom

I never thought of it like her going cold turkey too. Ok, maybe I'll have a normal sized cup tommorow and make rest decaff.

I looooove my coffee too, but my son didn't I read on Baby Center that...

Caffeine Your baby may be more irritable and feed more frequently if you ingest a lot of caffeine. Babies can't get rid of caffeine efficiently, so it can build up in their systems. Remember, caffeine can be found in chocolate, soft drinks, and some herbal teas and medications, in addition to coffee and tea. Too much caffeine can also cause sleep problems and nervousness. One or two cups of coffee a day won't harm your baby, but try to avoid caffeine or at least reduce your intake while you're breastfeeding. Try drinking decaffeinated coffee and tea, and avoid colas and other carbonated drinks that have added caffeine.
    But the good news is he's now 13 weeks and I started having just one cup of coffee a day and he seems to be tolerating it. Decaf just isn't the same, but the brewed kind is better than instant, and if you go with an instant get a good brand otherwise it taste like raisens.

Quote Originally Posted by reesa97
    if you go with an instant get a good brand otherwise it taste like raisens.
    LOL. Ok.

I made a pot of decaf this morning. I'm on my second soup bowl mug. It tastes good, but the true test will be how long I can stay awake.