Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 4 Month old pulling off breast

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default 4 Month old pulling off breast

    Hi,

    I am new to this site and it is a great source of info--Thank You. This is my first baby. He seems to be hungry about every 2 hours and he is 4 months old. This last week, he will nurse, I feel my letdown, and he is still OK for a few more minutes. But, it seems to me that when he reaches my hind milk, he pulls off and turns red, screams, and arches his back. I don't think it is my letdown because I feel that and he continues to nurse. I think it may be acid reflux which he is on medicine (twice a day) for. Also, it seems to happen during the first part of the day but during night-time feedings he is much better. My nursing position is the same. It's almost as if my hind milk tastes bad. Or it could be the food coming back up. Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW, I have implants under the muscle (saline implant with silicone bag).

    Stephanie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    Sometimes my baby pulls off about that time and cries (not screams) and I think for us it's gas, because I sit her up she usually burps and poops. Feeding does get there bowels moving...do you think that's what it could be?


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    I don't think that is it because he wants to continue eating and if I pull him off to try to burp him he screams and wants back on. He turns really red. The unusual thing is the time of day--seems to happen from 8AM till about 4PM. Night feedings are uneventful. I do drink a cup of coffee but I doubt he would taste that--maybe it's the dairy in the creamer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    Sometimes my baby pulls off about that time and cries (not screams) and I think for us it's gas, because I sit her up she usually burps and poops. Feeding does get there bowels moving...do you think that's what it could be?

    She hit the nail in the head... My son does that too, but as soon as I burp him he latches back on and eats. Lots of burping Good Luck

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    It may not be burping, but it could be farting! My girl does the same not when she needs to burp, but when she needs to fart or poop. I sit her upright with her back to my stomach and force stomach crunches by bringing her feet up to her face. She grunts a bit and strains her breathing, but after 2 or 3 "crunches" I usually get a really big noise happening down there. A couple more crunches and then she's good to go at the breast! Good luck.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Riverside California
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    This sound just like my baby to, exept she does it the whole day beside her morning feeding. I was wonder what it could be too?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Riverside California
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    Quote Originally Posted by Castleberry39 View Post
    Hi,

    I am new to this site and it is a great source of info--Thank You. This is my first baby. He seems to be hungry about every 2 hours and he is 4 months old. This last week, he will nurse, I feel my letdown, and he is still OK for a few more minutes. But, it seems to me that when he reaches my hind milk, he pulls off and turns red, screams, and arches his back. I don't think it is my letdown because I feel that and he continues to nurse. I think it may be acid reflux which he is on medicine (twice a day) for. Also, it seems to happen during the first part of the day but during night-time feedings he is much better. My nursing position is the same. It's almost as if my hind milk tastes bad. Or it could be the food coming back up. Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW, I have implants under the muscle (saline implant with silicone bag).

    Stephanie
    My baby does the same thing, except she does it all day beside her morning feeding. She is also 4 and 1/2 months old. I wonder what it could be too?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    Quote Originally Posted by Castleberry39 View Post
    I don't think that is it because he wants to continue eating and if I pull him off to try to burp him he screams and wants back on. He turns really red. The unusual thing is the time of day--seems to happen from 8AM till about 4PM. Night feedings are uneventful. I do drink a cup of coffee but I doubt he would taste that--maybe it's the dairy in the creamer.
    My baby will still seem upset that I'm sitting her up to burp, but I just sit her up anyway and she usually stops crying and does her business (burp, poop, fart, whatever) and I put her back on and she seems okay.


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,959

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    Quote Originally Posted by Castleberry39 View Post
    Hi,

    I am new to this site and it is a great source of info--Thank You. This is my first baby. He seems to be hungry about every 2 hours and he is 4 months old. This last week, he will nurse, I feel my letdown, and he is still OK for a few more minutes. But, it seems to me that when he reaches my hind milk, he pulls off and turns red, screams, and arches his back. I don't think it is my letdown because I feel that and he continues to nurse. I think it may be acid reflux which he is on medicine (twice a day) for. Also, it seems to happen during the first part of the day but during night-time feedings he is much better. My nursing position is the same. It's almost as if my hind milk tastes bad. Or it could be the food coming back up. Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW, I have implants under the muscle (saline implant with silicone bag).

    Stephanie
    Implants shouldn't affect anything.

    Hungry every two hours sounds like normal baby to me, but some reflux babies nurse more frequently in an attempt to sooth the pain from it.

    Do you feel like your milk ejection reflex is strong? Do you spray? Some babies really object to either a fast flow or a slow one. I see that you don't think its your letdown, maybe some breast compressions might help? This will speed it up. Let me page our resident reflux support person

    Oh Lynnnnnnnnnnn...... where are you?

    Your hindmilk is the same stuff as the foremilk, only with more fat (lipids). I seriously doubt this is about taste.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: 4 Month old pulling off breast

    I have a reflux baby too ... That happens to me too sometimes (5 month old) I pull him off to burp and he screams but once the burp comes out he is ok ... he also wants to eat every 2 hours! Could it be that you need a higher dosage of reflux meds because of weight change????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •