Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I supposed to be able to feel my letdown?

Default Am I supposed to be able to feel my letdown?

I have heard many people talking about letdown (how many etc) and I have no idea how you know. Am I supposed to be able to feel it? If so, can you describe what it feels like? Thanks!

Default Re: Am I supposed to be able to feel my letdown?

Some women do, some don't. To my knowledge, it feels different for everyone as well. I have a tingling sensation, like pins and needles, throughout my breast and sometimes I can feel it up into my armpit. The intensity of it changes for me throughout the day.

I also wanted to point out that some women feel it in the beginning and don't feel it later. So if you do feel it now, don't be alarmed if you stop.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I didn't feel it for the first 8 weeks or so and then I slowly became aware of it after that. It is a very subtle sensation for me - almost like a warming that starts up and moves down towards my nipples. As pp said, every woman experiences it differently.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I've never felt anything when I get a let down, so don't worry if you never do also!

I don't actually feel anything anymore, though I used to get a bit of the tingly feeling that Sarah (Szang) was mentioning. I would also get really thirsty when I let down, and sometimes I'd have a burning feeling at the tip of my nipple. Some women only know they've let down when they see the baby start swallowing.

Even though I don't get the physical sensation anymore I still know when I let down. I don't know how to explain it...the closest I can get is the feeling you have when you start to pee (a gross comparison, I know). But you know how sometimes you need to pee, but you sit down and nothing comes out so you have to subconciously relax something that lets the pee flow (or maybe that's just me)? It's a similar feeling. Sometimes I have to close my eyes and think about it happening before the milk will come, but I feel the relaxed feeling when it does come.

I think I just had a let down thinking about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Even though I don't get the physical sensation anymore I still know when I let down. I don't know how to explain it...the closest I can get is the feeling you have when you start to pee (a gross comparison, I know). But you know how sometimes you need to pee, but you sit down and nothing comes out so you have to subconciously relax something that lets the pee flow (or maybe that's just me)? It's a similar feeling. Sometimes I have to close my eyes and think about it happening before the milk will come, but I feel the relaxed feeling when it does come.
    Excellent description, Paige! That's exactly what I do when pumping at work.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I used to think I've never felt a let-down either till I noticed that sometimes a subtle feeling of sadness will wash over me when I am breastfeeding, and that's when baby started to swallow mouthsful of milk! So that, I guess, must be what let-down feels like for me!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1