Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5.5 mo old FIRST FOODS HELP, please.

Question 5.5 mo old FIRST FOODS HELP, please.

He seemed very intersted in our mealtimes/food. I have tried the BM popcsicles in the mesh 'sucker-thing', tried to have him interact in mealtime with a plastic baby spoon and bowl.

So, I started to experiment a bit with food a bit. I have so far started very, very slow with Organic banana (baby food), then about a week later (yesterday) some Organic pear (baby food).
    I only gave him about a tablespoon each time, and he seems to have esp. enjoyed the pears. When feeding him the baby food, he happily opens his mouth when the spoon comes his way.

Problem is, both times he was SCREAMING during the night, only to be consoled by the breast NONSTOP and me laying w/ him. Even then, he was obviously dealing with some gastro issues. And wants nothing to do w/DH. (Maybe seperation anxiety kicking in?)
    In the past with Caiden, this behaviour has been directly attributed to gas and/or some serious poops brewing.....
    Which lo and behold---explosion of both this AM.
    And now? Happy as a clam....

Any suggestions?
    Should I have started him on rice cereal first? Dr. Sears site said that bananas and pears were a great first food choice?
    I am seriously confused.

Default Re: 5.5 mo old FIRST FOODS HELP, please.

Sounds like his system might not be ready for solids. Why don't you give it another few weeks or more and try to introduce again. Remember, these first foods are for fun and ounce for ounce your breastmilk is healthier and has more calories than those solids provide!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    Sounds like his system might not be ready for solids. Why don't you give it another few weeks or more and try to introduce again. Remember, these first foods are for fun and ounce for ounce your breastmilk is healthier and has more calories than those solids provide!
    I agree with Christy. Maybe try to hold him off a couple more weeks. There was a thread in here somewhere with some great advice on how to hold baby off from eating solids- letting them play with ice, sippys of water, teething toys, etc during meal times.

Another thing you may want to try is next time you offer solids, do it in the morning or at lunchtime. That way, if he has a tummyache again it won't disrupt both of your sleep schedules.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yep, doesn't sound ready to me. Opening wide when the spoon comes close is a reflex. Have you read at all about baby-led solids?

Also, "My Child Won't Eat!" is a great resource. HTH! Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.